Chapter 16

Chapter 16

                “I told you it’s impossible,” I said to Liam, Zayn, Niall, and Louis after school. “He’s not going to change back to his old self.”

                “But he has to!” Niall said. “We miss our friend.” He looked sad. Apparently they were all really close to Harry, and I understand how that feels. When Violet ditched me for her new friends, I felt left behind and unwanted. I also know how it feels when someone forces you to change back. My mum keeps telling me to go back to my old self, but I don’t in order to avoid being made fun of again. I know exactly how Harry is feeling and exactly how his friends are feeling.

                “It’s not that easy.” We walked down the hall towards the front doors of the school. Changing Harry back into his old nerdy self was going to be a difficult task, but one that I was willing to conquer.

                When I got home, nobody was there. I was home…alone. I hated being home alone. My town was full of creeps, and the only person I know that is close by is Liam, and if I were being attacked, he wouldn’t exactly be much help.

                I went downstairs to the basement and turned on the TV. The news was on every station, so I just watched that. There was nothing extremely exciting. I grabbed the remote and was about to press the power button but paused when a familiar face appeared on the screen. It was Sam.

“A male around 18 years old was seen today aimlessly walking up and down side streets. He was seen with a bag full of mysterious items, as no one knows exactly what is in the bag. A local resident captured this picture of him, so if you see this face, please contact your police department right away.”

                Honestly? Sam was such an idiot. I am so glad we broke up when we did because if I were still with him, I would be ashamed. I swear he’s on drugs or something.

                I heard a noise coming from outside. It sounded like an animal rustling in the bushes. We always had raccoons that snuck in through the mudroom, so I made sure the mudroom door in the basement was locked and went upstairs. I looked out the window. I didn’t see anything. I went up to my room and turned on the lights so I could see. If there was some creep outside, I wouldn’t know what to do. There were usually only animals like possums and skunks which I just shooed away by flickering the lights in the house. I never had to shoo away a person before.

                “Looks like your keys missed your pocket when you opened the front door,” a voice behind me said. I jumped and turned around.

                “Get the fuck out of my house!” I screamed. He was holding my house keys.

                “Why?” he said, dangling them in my face. “We were too young to do what I wanted to do when we were dating, but now that we’re older…and in your bedroom…” He inched closer to me. I pushed him away and he just laughed.

                “Leave, Sam. You’re not wanted here.” I left my phone in the basement, so I grabbed the house phone that was sitting on my nightstand. If things got out of hand and I needed to call someone, I could just call the most recent person in the contacts list.

                “I’m not?” He threw the keys on the floor and placed his hands on my shoulders. He started pushing me backwards.

                “No, you’re not.” I grabbed his forearm in an attempt to remove his hands from me. I hadn’t realized he was so strong.

                “Well that’s a shame. You have no idea how good I can make you feel…” His breath was hot as he breathed the words down my neck.

                “Get off of me.” He pushed me down onto the bed so I was half sitting, half laying down.  He pulled off my shirt. I still had the phone in my hand. I wanted to handle the situation myself, but I didn’t know if I could. I called the first person that was on the contacts list.

                “What are you doing?” Sam asked. I stuck my hand on his face. My nails were really long, so I dug them into his skin.

                “Ow!” he said, removing my hand from his face. I got off the bed and ran into my closet. I shut the door. He just opened the door. Damn closet doesn’t lock.

                “Think you can hide, huh?” He smirked. I really wished I could turn invisible.

                “Get away from me, you creep,” I said. The person on the other end picked up, but I had no way of talking to them if Sam was right in front of me, so I held the phone in my hands like no one was listening to what was going on.

                “I’m just trying to mend a broken relationship.”

                “By forcing me to have sex with you?!” I was practically in tears.

                “You may not know it, but you’re a sexy animal.” He whispered these words in my ear. I slapped him across the face.

                “Do not call me that again, you bastard.” I crawled out of the closet and ran downstairs. I could hear him following me. I put the phone up to my ear and the line was dead. Great.  

                “Bri, you can’t hide forever…” He went towards the basement. I grabbed the blanket off of the living room couch and covered myself up. If my mum came home she would kill me if I were just wearing a bra.

                There was a knock at the door. Without thinking I opened it, and I was glad I had wrapped that blanket around me.

                “Are you okay?” Harry asked. I absentmindedly ran into his arms. I started crying even harder than I already was.

                “I take that as a no…” I knew he felt awkward, but I was so glad someone had showed up.