Chapter 26

Chapter 26

                “Oh my God,” Harry said. His eyes went wide and he just stared at me. “That was—“

                “Absolutely horrific,” I said. I hopped off the bed. I ran up the stairs and back to the living room. I heard Harry’s footsteps behind me. I grabbed my jacket from the closet and slipped my shoes on. “C’mon,” I said. “Time to go to the hospital.”

                “Bri,” Harry said, running his fingers through his hair. “Calm down. Your mum is fine.”

                “How the hell would you know?” I turned around and looked him dead in the eye. “She’s my mum, and if I want to go to the hospital to see if she’s okay, I will whether you drive me there or not.” I flung the front door of his house open and stepped outside into the pouring rain.

                “Why must you be so difficult?” Harry mumbled under his breath. A few minutes later he joined me on the porch. He started walking to his car and I followed.

                “Thanks,” I whispered. I wasn’t great at being appreciative, but suddenly I realized that I was never very nice to my mum, and if she’s gone it would be too late.

---

                “We’re here.” Harry pulled into a parking space. It was almost one in the morning. I was exhausted, but I needed to see my mum. I whipped open the passenger side door and ran towards the hospital doors.

                “Visiting hours are over,” the security guard at the front desk said.

                “But I need to see my mum!” I cried. I hadn’t noticed before, but tears were running down my face. “I got a weird call from her cell phone, but it was from a doctor. In fact, I’m not even sure it was a doctor.”

                “Sorry, sweetie. Come back at seven.” The guard put her feet up on the desk and leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes. I quickly ran behind her to the elevators. I looked back to see where Harry was, and he had just entered the building. I motioned him to be quiet and to follow me. He did as told.

                “Do you even know where you’re going?” he whispered.

                “Nope, but I have a plan.” I pushed the elevator button and the doors opened immediately.

                “What’s your brilliant plan?” Harry asked sarcastically.

                “We need to find doctor’s jackets and then you’re going to find a computer and search up my mum’s room number.”

                “We can get arrested for this, you know.”

                “But we won’t.” The doors opened and we were on the second floor. There were two lab coats hanging on hooks behind the nurses’ station desk. There was no one in sight so I grabbed them, handed one to Harry, and put one on.

                “This is not going to work,” Harry said. “We’re soaking wet from the rain.”

                “We’ll make it work. Find a computer and hack it somehow.”

                “What makes you think—“

                “You’re smart, figure it out.” Harry jogged over to the nearest computer and, luckily, it was already logged in.

                “I don’t know what I’m doing,” he said. I sighed and leaned over his shoulder at the screen.

                “There’s a search button right there, you dummy.” I pointed to it and he typed in my mum’s name.

                “It says Diane Hudson checked out a few hours ago.”

                “What? That’s impossible.” I took a look at the screen. “What the hell?”

                “Who’s there?!” a loud booming voice shouted. Harry and I glanced at each other and ran to the nearest staircase.