Chapter 32

Chapter 32:

I sat at the foot of my bed, raking at my brain for some answer. Could it really be that, he didn't plan things to go as they did last night. That it was his 'boy who cried wolf' moment? Or could I actually believe him, the one with no respect for women? I didn't know what was real? I looked at the clock which read 5 am. I looked back down at the receipt that lay square on the ground. He didn't touch me. That was the only truth I was sure of everything else could be a lie. That and the fact that his car really did break down. The evidence was there. My stomach churned. I remembered the way he had spoken to me in the morning. He was...he sounded sincere...I closed my eyes and heaved out a long breath. Either way, I had to face him tomorrow. Him and the school.

* *

Caroline had picked me up in the morning to school.

"You look like the walking dead" she stated.

"I didn't exactly get to sleep." I shrugged. I got out of the car and pulled my bag out. She checked her watch.

"We're kind of early." She said.

"Caroline. He came last night." I finally admitted.

"WHAT?! What did he say? He didn't pull anything, did he?" She asked in shock.

I carefully recounted everything that happened last night and she listened in disbelief. She licked her lips.

"And now you believe him?" She asked softly.

"I don't know" I said. "It's true he didn't try anything with me and its true his car broke down." I said exasperated

She leaned into the hood of her car.

"Maybe, you should consider his story." She said quietly.

"I knew you'd say that." She did like him from the beginning.

"Well, cuz ...I don't know Kat but, I just feel like, there's something hiding in all that dirt." She explained. My shoulders suddenly stiffened. Past Caroline's shoulders I saw Harry a few cars down. His arms were wrapped around Eva, and his lips were pressed to hers. I didn't realize when I had stopped breathing. Caroline followed my gaze behind her and than froze.

"Well now we know that below all that dirt, there's more dirt." I said quietly. I turned the other way and walked away from everything.