Chapter 46

Chapter 46:

I sat at the foot of the hospital bed, gazing out the window. I didn't like this feeling, being trapped in one room like this, knowing I'm not able to walk yet. I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting out of such a life....imagine all those who do leave this tragic life... It's been two weeks. They told me another day or two and I'd be ready to be discharged. I couldn't wait. Well at least the bandages were off. I ran my fingertips over the skin of my back where Tom had carved. I felt the pattern...there was a weird pattern. No one had seen my back with the bandages off yet expect for the nurses and even than, the face they made at the sight had scared me. What did Tom do to me? I felt around and...it seemed like writing. I slid off the bed and leaned against it as i still didn't have the full strength back in my balance. I needed crutches. I picked up the small mirror on top of the table by my bed and with shaky hands, lifted my shirt angling the mirror to see. At the sight Tom's voice rang through the room.

"I want you to remember what you are! Your nothing but a cheap whore! Know it!"

He had carved the word 'cheap whore' on my back. I dropped the mirror on the floor, shattering it as I collapsed. Tears streamed down my face as I hugged my knees. "Know it!" Tom shouted in my head.

Just than the door opened.

"Belle!" An urgent voice came as two strong arms picked me up effortlessly, cradling me against his chest, and placed me on top of the bed. I tried to push away from him, knowing that I'd rather die than have him read the imprinted word on my skin. He remained persistent not to leave, as he held my face to force me to look at him. Harry looked worried. I tried to look away but he held my face there, scanning me, as he brushed my tears away.

"What happened?" Harry asked me softly. I shook my head, refusing to answer. "Tell me." He said commandingly.

"The bandages were removed" I mumbled through sobs. He waited for me to continue. When I didn't he held out his hand.

"Let me see." He whispered.

"No" I said, rubbing the tears off my cheek.

"Belle, let me see." He said keeping a stone cold expression. I shook my head stubbornly. "What are you afraid of?" He asked. "That a scar will scare me off?"

"Harry...I'm afraid you'll believe it." I said quietly, looking away from him. He was clearly confused by my answer.

"Show me." Harry repeated.

With no other choice I turned around so my back was facing him. With careful hands he lifted the hem of my shirt up enough to see what was there. I closed my eyes and waited for his reaction. For him to bolt out of the room disgusted. For him to tell me that it's the truth. That that is what I am.

He ran his fingers over the scar and a shiver ran down my spine. I felt him pull the cloth back down. He took both my shoulders and turned me around to face him once more.

"Your scared I'll believe it?" He repeated my words. My breathing came staggered. His jaw was clenched and there was rage in his eyes. Was he angry at me? "That's how low you think of me? That this mark's going to change how I see you? It means nothing!" He said angrily.

"It's on me!" I shouted. "I'm scarred forever! This is what I'm known as! This is how the world will see me! This is how you'll see me from now on! I'm nothing but a cheap-"

"Don't." he cut me off. He bent forward placing his hands on either side of me so our faces were inches apart. "You have no idea what you mean to me." He said quietly. "This changes nothing." I rubbed the temples of my head in circles, closing my eyes as tears still streamed down my face. He took both my hands and brought them down to my side. "Your still the beauty I met on my first day here." He said. "This changes nothing." He repeated in a whisper. He lifted my chin up to kiss me but stopped as he noticed my expression. "You don't believe me?"

"Harry..." I said, wiping my tears away yet again.

"Do you remember on the day you woke up, I told you I had something for you. I never got the chance to give it to you, Belle." He said reaching into his pocket. Was he trying to distract me? He pulled out a sliver necklace and, taking the palm of my hand, placed it on top. At the tip was a silver envelope. I stared at it in amazement. "It was my mum's. Before she died, she gave it to me. She told me to make good use of it. It's the only thing I have of hers" he explained.

"I can't take this." I said handing it back to him instantly. I realized the value of it was way to tremendous for him to give it away to me.

"I want you to have it." He said stubbornly. He took it from my palm and put it on me. The envelope fell onto my chest. "It's not an empty envelope." He said noticing me staring down at it. I looked at him confused. "Open it." He said with a smile. It opens? I took the small envelope between my fingers and opened the side, just like a real one, and inside was a small heart shaped tablet. I took it out and read the inscription.

'Harry Styles'

I looked up at him. "This is your heart." I said quietly, putting the message together. "You mailed me your heart." I said biting my lip as the smile spread on my own face. I turned it over and there was a small hatch. I pulled it with my nail and the heart opened two small double doors. Inside was the inscription,

'Belle'

I stared at it in utter surprise. "And your inside my heart." He finished. I closed the doors turning to back to his name while I ran my fingers over the letters. A million thoughts ran through my mind. He took the heart from my hand. "I added this part." He said putting it back in the envelope locket, letting it drop back onto my chest. "It changes nothing." He whispered. He brought his lips to mine, kissing me softly. "Will you keep it safe?" He asked, through the kiss. I knew he was referring to the heart...his heart.

"Always" I said wrapping my arms around his neck to bring him closer.