A Woman's Work

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration as Stefan and I waited outside of the E.R. We watched intently through a window into the E.R as doctors prepped Caroline for a C-section. I put my head in my hands as Stefan groaned in anger and kicked over a chair that sat in the hall and it flew back, hitting the wall. "Perhaps this isn't the best time to mention that they ran out of cream." Valerie stated eyeing Stefan as she came into the room with our coffee and I sighed turning towards her.

"Sorry." Stefan apologized, grabbing his coffee and looking back at the doctors work on Caroline.

"Don't be. You have every right to be upset." Valerie reassured him as I slowly nodded in agreement at her and took my coffee.
"What did you tell them?" She added standing next to Stefan and I.

"Oh, I compelled the doctors to ignore all things medicine couldn't explain." I pointed out emotionlessly and Valerie nodded in agreement.

"Good." She replied and I slowly nodded. "I compelled the doctor to shut down this entire wing so it's just us. Didn't want a vampire C-section to draw too much attention." She added slowly sighing and I looked towards Stefan who remained silent. "Has she regained consciousness?" Valerie asked and Stefan sighed in defeat.

"No, not yet." Stefan stated not, not taking his eyes off of Caroline.

"I gave her my magic. I stopped the desiccation." Valerie stated and Stefan and I turned towards her.

"I knew she was sick and I left anyway—It almost killed her." Stefan stated angry at himself.

"And what were you going to do? What could you have done? Allowed Damon to get his head ripped off in a bloody fight—your brother needed you." Valerie countered and I scoffed turning back to the doctors and Caroline.

"Damon doesn't care about anything or anyone else but himself. He made that very clear yesterday." I replied quietly.

"Have you talked to anyone else about what he did to Elena?" Valerie asked eyeing Stefan and I and we both slowly shook our heads.

"The entire drive home I was trying to—Figure out a way to tell Caroline." Stefan sighed and I slowly breathed out.

"And Bonnie." I added looking at Val who listened intently. "I just couldn't find the words." I whispered quietly and Valerie slowly nodded, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Look, everything you need to worry about is inside that room. Caroline is going to have the babies and everything will be fine. All of this will be over." Valerie reassured and I slowly turned to Stefan and grabbed in hand, squeezing it tightly.
~~~

"I'm on my way to the airport now, I should be there in a few hours." Ric stated and I rolled my eyes into the phone.

"We don't have a few hours—Caroline's stable but the doctor needs to perform the C-section now." I countered as I put the phone on speaker and Ric slowly sighed.

"Okay, yeah I-I-I get it, but just do what you have to doBut promise me that you've got the best doctors in Virginia." Ric replies in concern and I rose my eyebrow at Stefan.

"Just hurry back—And don't forget to feed Freya while you're in the cab." I warned before Ric sighed in annoyance and I smirked a bit, hanging up. I put the phone back in my pocket before I looked at Caroline. I examined Caroline's heart rate beating rhythmically and normally as were the babies.

"Scalpel." The doctor stated from inside the E.R and the nurse handed it to her. I rose my eyebrow as the doctor gently inserted the scalpel into Caroline's stomach before all of the heart rates started beeping loudly and going down fast. I furrowed my eyebrows in concern and watched the doctor groan in confusion as she couldn't move the scalpel any further towards Caroline. "What's happening?" The doctor asked in frustration as her hand shook uncontrollably.