Small victories

John didn't say anything for most of the ride. Dean got in the passenger seat with no words and Sam had buckled himself into the backseat. "Are you two hungry?" John called gruffly. Both boys were beyond hungry. They'd run out of money only two days into the week John had left. "Yes." Dean said carefully. John grunted, which Dean assumed meant he'd stop for food. He saw a rest area and they stopped there for gas and food. Sam went to the bathroom while Dean picked out his meal, a small apple pie, glazed and covered in sugar, before switching tasks. Dean came out of the bathroom to find Sam clutching a bag of fruit gummies. "I really don't think those are going to be enough, Sam." Dean warned him. Sam nodded obediently and picked out another snack. He returned with a small package of donuts. "Good boy, Sam." Dean smiled. Sam beamed and put his food on the counter to pay for. John payed for the items and they piled back into the Impala. "Don't get sick." John mumbled before pulling onto the highway. Sam and Dean said nothing and ate their food. "Hand me a donut, Sam." John demanded, extending his arm backwards to receive the pastry. Sam silently placed the smallest donut he could find in John's  palm. Dean gave a subtle thumbs up to Sam with a grin. Sam smiled back and lay across the seat, popping a donut in his mouth.