Love Doesn't Equal Forever

The next day of school was interesting. Gabriel had returned, and Sam stared at him relentlessly. Gabriel wasn't talking to the Wimchester, hadn't said a single word to him since he'd arrived. It left Sam puzzled. He looked quickly away as his target turned his eyes to him. "Sam? You alright?" Charlie poked Sam lightly. He shooed her finger away and threw on a fake smile. "Yeah, Charlie, I'm fine." He lied. Charlie didn't believe him for a second, but dropped the matter anyway. "Do you have any homework yet?" She asked instead. Sam groaned. "Tons. Math class is putting me through the wringer, Alistair is making us write a fifteen-page essay on mythological creatures, and Mrs. Meg just scares me." Sam sighed. Charlie laughed. "It's going to get worse." She mocked a sympathetic tone, her hand on Sam's shoulder. Sam chuckled softly. "I'm serious, Charlie! School is harder than I remember it being." Charlie cocked her head. "When was the last time you went?" "A year and a half ago." Sam mumbled. Charlie face palmed. "Well, gee, I wonder why that is!" Sam gave her a bitchface. She held her hands up in surrender. "Why haven't you been in school anyway?" She asked. Sam tensed. He took a deep breath. "My dad...he hurt me and my brother. He beat us severely and moved us around a lot." Sam said briskly. Charlie gave him a sympathetic look. "I'm so sorry." She whispered. Sam smiled sadly at her. "It's getting better. My brother and I ran away from him." He said. Charlie gave him a warm hug. "Don't ever give up, Sam."

Dean tried desperately to calm himself down. Thoughts ran wildly through his mind, destroying him temporarily. He gripped the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white, his jaw set. He shook intensely. What would happen if he walked in there? Dean took a deep breath, shuddering on the last seconds of it. "I can't do this." He mumbled. He laid his head down on the steering wheel. A little voice in his head encouraged him to get out of the car. "I hate you, little voice." Dean grumbled. He opened the door with a slight creek and stepped out. "You can do this, Dean Winchester." He whispered, trying to convince himself. He swung open the door to the school and shivered. It didn't look friendly. It looked and felt downright hellish. And he would know. "Dean?" Sam called in surprise. Thank goodness Sam was the one to see him first. Dean did not want to deal with a person he didn't know. "Hey, Sammy!" He smiled at his brother. "You look white as a ghost. Why are you here?" Sam cocked his head to the side.  "I, uh, I'm going to school, Sammy." Dean said, slight triumph tingeing his voice. This was surely not as confident as he really felt. Sam hugged him tightly, Dean being just a hair shorter than him. "Where's your first class? I can try and help you figure this place out." Sam suggested. Dean nodded gratefully. "Thanks, Sam. My first class is English with Mrs. Meg." He frowned at his schedule. "Alright, follow me." Sam turned on his heel and began walking down a long hallway, decorated only with a trophy case containing dozens of the golden things. There were a few plants scattered here and there, but Dean decided he didn't like hyacinths very much. "The school is very focused on athletic ability." Sam said with a shrug. "I can see that." Dean sighed.  If he'd had the right body, he could have been a football player. "This is it." Sam gestured to the door he had stopped in front of. Dean looked away from the display case of trophies. "I gotta get to my class, but I'll be here if you need me." He told Dean sincerely. Sam gave him a quick hug before using his long legs to speed off to class. Dean opened the metal door to his classroom.

"Gabriel!" Sam shouted. He saw the older boy freeze, stopping in his tracks and purposely avoiding Sam's harsh gaze. "What do you need, Sam?" He asked warily. He seemed to have relaxed at having been confronted. Sam took his face in his hands, running his thumb over Gabriel's cheekbone, and slowly let their lips touch. Gabriel didn't react at first, even tried pulling away, but he couldn't stay away from Sam. The boy was a downright virus. "Now. Since that's out of the way, I want to know why you've been avoiding me." Sam demanded, his forehead resting against Gabriel's. Gabriel pulled away quickly. "I love you, Sam. You know that. I couldn't ever, ever leave you. But... this is...this isn't normal. I'm not supposed to be gay. I'm not supposed to be with you. I can't be." Gabriel sighed deeply, half in relief and half in baring anxiety. "I love you, Sam, but I cannot be with you." Gabriel turned to walk away, and Sam let him.