Bad News

Sam rocked back and forth in the chair, his head in his hands. Dean rubbed his back. He'd pressed the "nurse call" button and demanded a wheelchair, before Castiel had pushed him to Gabriel's room, Sam leading the way in a very fast walk. When they'd arrived, they had been told to sit in the hall outside his room. "He's...what if he doesn't make it? What if he does make it, and he doesn't remember me?" Sam yelled, clutching his molasses hair in fists. "Hey...he's going to be fine. He is gonna wake up and he's gonna wanna see you first thing." Dean told him softly. "But what if he doesn't, Dean?" Sam asked, finally looking up from his hands, meeting Dean's teary gaze. Nurses rushed by in baby blue uniforms. The whole scene was a blur to the youngest Winchester. "I can't lose him, Dean. I can't. I won't make it if he doesn't." "I know, Sammy." Dean consoled. But his voice cracked on the last word and tears were falling down his cheeks, onto the ugly tile floor. Castiel, behind him, put a hand on his shoulder. Dean looked up at him and saw the other boy was trying not to show his sadness. Gabriel's doctor stopped in front of them. "Are you Castiel Novak?" The man asked, his voice deep and void of emotion. Castiel froze for a second. He nodded. "I am very sorry." The doctor began. Castiel braced himself. "The car crash was head-on, the windshield shattering on impact. Gabriel Novak was wearing his seatbelt, but he still suffered multiple contusions to his head, both from flying glass and hitting his head on the dash. We do not expect him to wake up from the coma he is currently in. His chances are 1 in 100. I apologize." The doctor said swiftly, still showing no feeling, as he walked away. Sam didn't speak. He didn't move. Sam didn't breathe. Dean shook him roughly, trying desperately to get his attention. "Sam!" Dean said his name louder now. He still didn't react. "Sammy!" Dean yelled. "Dean, come here. Let me get Sam." Castiel pleaded, pulling Dean away from his brother. Dean broke down, allowing Castiel to wheel him away and breaking into sobs. He watched as Castiel scooped Sam into his arms. Dean grabbed the wheels on his wheelchair and began to roll himself back to his room, Castiel following beside him with Sam.