Chapter 5

The next morning I am awaken by Logan and Maggie jumping on my bed. Maggie's blonde piggy tails flying. The two are such a contrast. My big, dark haired cousin and my tiny, blonde sister.

"Wakey-wakey J-bear!" They say in a sing-songy voice.

"No. Go away!" I groan hiding under the covers.

Logan rips them off of me.

"Come on, Jay!" Maggie says in her squeaky, little voice. "Come eat breakfast with us!"

"Noooo. I'm still mad at y'all." I say.

"What did we do?" She asks in confusion.

"Yeah!" Logan says, his lower lip pouting. "What did we do?"

"Y'all abandoned me last night!" I exclaim. "And there was a hot intern!"

"There was a what?!" Logan yells.

"A hot guy named Tate and everyone kept teasing me." I complain. Not about Tate, of course, about the teasing.

"Heck no." Logan exclaims. "There is no way I'm letting you date an older guy."

"What are you going to do about it?" I smirk.

"What am I going to do about it? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?!" Logan yells, getting a crazy look in his eye. He leans down and whispers in Maggie's ear.

Her eyes widen. "Mommy!" She yells running from the room. "Jay has a boyfriend! His name is Tate and they go on dates!"

I groan. "I do not have a boyfriend!" I shout after her.

She continues anyways. "And Logan said he's old!"

I sigh and climb out of bed. I shoot Logan a glare before running after her down the stairs.

I chase her into the kitchen where I stop abruptly. Papa is sitting at the bar with a very amused look on his face. At least I think it's amused. Everything is blurry without my glasses.

"Daddy! Daddy!" Maggie yells pulling on his tee-shirt.

"Don't yell, honey. Daddy has a hangover." He groans. He's standing by the coffee pot, waiting for it to finish making.

I smirk. Serves him right.

"But daddy!" Maggie exclaims in a much quieter voice. "Logan said Jay has a boyfriend that's old! He's probably thirty!" She continues, concern written all over her face.

"Oh no!" Papa exclaims. "Thirty is practically ancient." He smirks at dad who glares back at him.

Maggie nods rapidly. "I bet daddy isn't thirty!" She exclaims.

"I bet your right." Mom says entering the kitchen. "Daddy's older than thirty." Her lips twitch forming a small smile.

I stare at her. It's not often that she smiles anymore. Ever since the incident a few years back, there hasn't been much reason for her to.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of happiness in our life's. It's just not the same anymore.

"Daddy is older than thirty?" Maggie asks with wide eyes. "Daddy doesn't look that old." She says skeptically.

"Thank you honey." He sends mom a triumphant smile.

Mom glares in reply.

After the incident my parents got divorced. When Maggie was born they decided to remarry. There relationship has never been quite the same, but sweet, innocent, little Maggie doesn't notice the strain that often exists between our parents.

"Jay, think fast!" Logan exclaims entering the kitchen as well. He tosses me a pair of shorts and my glasses.

I look at the shorts in confusion for a moment before I realize that I'm not wearing any. I have on nothing but one of Logan's oversized tee-shirts. I smile in thanks, slipping on both the shorts and the glasses.

Mom quickly whips up some breakfast and has us sit at the table.

"So," I say breaking the silence. "What brings you here Papa?"

He grins. "Can't a grandpa visit his grand kids without there being a reason?" He asks innocently.

I quirk a brow.

"Okay, okay. I'm here for work." He admits sheepishly.

"Papa!" I protest. "I thought you said you were going to retire and leave the business to dad." Papa owned the law firm dad works at. A few months ago, Papa found out about some heart problems he didn't know he had and said he was going to stop working.

Papa shrugs and doesn't say anything.

"What about you health?" I say. I can feel the tears forming in my eyes. "I can't lose you Papa."

He smiles sadly at me. "You won't lose me."

I stare down at the eggs and bacon on my plate. Conversations go on around me but I remain silent. Every so often I glance at the empty chair at our table. The chair that hasn't been used since that day six years ago.

Memories flood my mind and suddenly I'm not hungry any more. I push my plate away and stand up from the table.

"I'm going to get dressed." I say, my voice sounding thick even to my own ears. I place my plate on the counter and leave before anyone notices the tears in my eyes.

***

After getting my emotions under control, I start getting ready for school. I put in my contacts before applying makeup. I use darker colors than usual on my eyes, to match my mood. Then I dress in a pair of high waisted, denim shorts and a black tank top. My hair, which is still straight from last night, is pulled into a high ponytail. I slip on pink vans and grab my backpack before heading out. As an afterthought, I go back and get my leather jacket.

I walk outside to be greeted by the hot sun burning down on me. The warmth soaks into my skin, cheering my previously damped spirits. The weather is my favorite part about living in Alabama. 

I skip down the stairs to my black Lamborghini. I smile widely as I slip Into the drivers seat. Between having a lawyer for a dad and a doctor for a mom, not to mention the many family businesses, I was able to have pretty much anything I wanted.

The Lamborghini, for instance, came from my dads mid-life crisis. It happened when I was sixteen and after he came to his senses, I was able to convince him to give me the car.

I toss my bag in the passenger seat and start the car. I'm about to back out of the driveway when Logan rushes out of the house. He climbs in the passenger seat and flashes me a smile.

"Ready for school my dear cousin?" Logan asks perkily.

I glance at him but don't reply.

"Come on." He nudges me. "You can't honestly be mad about last night."

"I'm not mad." I sigh.

"Uh-oh." He says eying me carefully. "Is it that time of the month?"

"No!" I snap, glaring at him.

"Hmm." He seems to be deep in thought. "What else could have you in this kind of mood? Oh." Realization dawns on him.

"There's no problem. Just drop it." I turn the radio up.

The rest of the ride to school is spent in silence.