Chapter 11

Friday afternoon I head to the football field with Alaina and Jesse to watch the team play a scrimmage game. All the players had been split up before hand, as had the coaches and cheerleaders. Students filled the stands, eager to see how the team looks this season. As for me, I was just here to watch my friends play and Lexi and Kaylee cheer.

Me, Alaina, and Jesse find a seat on the home side right in front of where the cheerleaders will be. Everyone is decked out in navy and gold, our school colors. We all cheer as our team, the Kentworth High Rams, run out and separate into two teams. I watch as a cheerleader, whose name I don't know, runs over to a football. When he removes his helmet I see, much to my surprise, that it's Thomas. What surprises me even mores is that he bends over slightly so that the girl can plant a kiss on his cheek. I swear my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets.

"Thomas the nerd is on the football team?" I ask in disbelief. I turn to see that both Alaina and Jesse are smirking at me.

"Yeah he's the kicker." Jesse replies. "He's also the pitcher for the baseball team and the best fullback the soccer team has." She says.

This surprises me as well. I guess now that I think about it it makes sense. He does have lean muscles in his arms and it's quite evident, even with the tees he wears, that his stomach is toned, plus he's always busy after school. I just assumed it was with homework. One thing doesn't make sense though.

"What about the kiss?" I ask. "Is she like his girlfriend?" I ask curiously, and I admit slightly jealously. I mean, he seemed to be completely immune to my good looks, yet he liked other girls?

"Oh no. Thomas doesn't do girlfriends ever since his last relationship freshman year didn't work out." Alaina tells me. "The kiss is a tradition he started called the Good Luck Kiss. Freshman year he had a crush on this girl so he told her that they wouldn't win unless she gave him a good luck kiss. A few weeks later they started dating. Ever since then he's always had someone give him a good luck kiss." She informs me.

"Ever since that tradition started we haven't lost a single game. Not football, soccer or baseball." Jesse says.

"Being chosen to give Thomas the Good Luck Kiss can actually raise your social status." Alaina adds.

"He's that popular?" I ask incredulously.

"Yeah. He's also Jordan's cousin so he hangs out with us a lot." Jesse says.

"Wow." I say trying to process all this new information. I turn back to the field in time to see everyone getting in position to start the game. I search for Thomas and find him on the sidelines.

We remain quiet for the most part except for when we are cheering. My mind is still trying to process the fact that Thomas isn't the nerd I thought he was. In fact, he's a very impressive athlete and possibly as big of a player as Jordan. As the team runs in for a touch down I notice a few people standing outside of the fence. I squint my eyes to try and make out who they are. My eyes light up in recognition and I hop up.

"Where are you going?" Alaina calls.

"Over there." I say pointing in the direction I'm headed. "Be right back!"

I run down the steps of the bleachers and out to the spot where the people are standing.

"Caleb!" I shout gleefully. His head snaps around at the sound of his name and his eyes light up when he sees me.

"Hot stuff!" He shouts. Hot stuff has been Caleb's nickname for me since the first day I attended Princeton Privet Academy. It's the last school I went to and I haven't seen Caleb since I got expelled. "How've you been?" He asks swinging me around in a circle.