Divorced ch.9

"....This is Lila and you have reached my voicemail, leave a message or leave a message. I hate phone calls, that's why I'm not picking up."

I sighed and for the fourth time today, I left a message. "Lila, it's me... Again." I lightly chuckled as I put my palm to my forehead. "I'm worried about you, and so is Mike. I-we; all of us wants to know if you're safe. We're here for you and we all love you; especially Mike. Call me when you get a chance- hopefully you would. Well, talk to you later." I removed my phone from my ear and ended the message.

Mike walked into the kitchen with his reading book in hand and pajamas on. "Can you read to me, please?"

My lips tugged into a small smile. "Okay, what you got?"

He extended his arms up to show me the thin Dr. Seuss book- Cat in the Hat. The title was in bold and stood out. "Cat in the hat," Mike said with enthusiasm in his voice.

I grabbed the thin, but also long book in my hands before picking him up to take him to the couch. "Ok bud," I laid him on the couch with ease before tucking him in. I took a seat beside his feet while opening the book to the first page.

"Once upon a time, not quite. The sun did not shine..."

*******

Regina intertwined her fingers in mind as we sat on the park bench, watching Mike have his fun. The day was actually peaceful; clear blue skies, the streets wasn't as crowded since everyone is at work. I laid my head on Regina's shoulder as I take in a deep breath of air.

"What chapter are you writing now?" She asked, not before planting a kiss on the top of my head.

"Eight. It may just become a short story of fifteen chapters." I said with a sigh. "I don't know, I would have to see."

"Any contact with Lila? I've tried but no answer."

I shook my head no. "I've been leaving messages on her voicemail, but no call back."

"Well, keep trying. She'll come around."

I sat up to see her face, "You're very calm about this." I stated. "Have this happened before?"

Regina gave me a simple nod. "Two years ago, I took cared of Mike while she... traveled. However, it only took two weeks for Lila to come back."

"But it's been nearly a month-"

"Don't worry about it," her lips connected with mine; mainly to calm my mind and worries.

*****

I slowly pulled down the loft door- trying not to make too much noise since Mike is sleep in my arms. I put my purse on the dresser before laying Mike on the couch. As I take off my jacket, my phone buzzed in my pocket.

I lazily took it out to see a message from another unknown number: I'm safe ~ L...it read. That was all, no specific detail or a picture. She didn't even ask about Mike; her own child.

I looked towards Mike. He looked peaceful as he slept. It's sweet how he still smiles, even though his mother is not here at this moment. I wonder if he knows about his mother's line of work. What am I talking about? He's just a child. Well, a very smart child.

I power off my phone and gently set it down on my night stand. I sat down on my bed with a sigh as I ran my fingers through my hair.

I hope Lila those comeback..