The Shire

It was a long ride to the Shire. I had to travel north and take the high pass across the Misty Mountains. It was then a long trek down through the Ettenmoors and across open county before I finally met Gandalf in a wayside inn called the Golden Pirch.
"You found the place then?" Chuckled the wizard as I sat down. I nodded nervously, pulling my hood closer around my face. There were too many people, too much noise. The wizard briefed me on what was to happen and what I was to do of the wizard had to leave our company for any amount of time. Little did I know how useful that information was going to be...
~{<>}~
I had to remain at the inn for a few days while Gandalf sorted out "a few minor details". Then, one evening, he returned and told me I had to come with him.
"You're going to have to come in your animal form," he murmured to me as we left the inn.
"Why?" I asked curiously. Gandalf sighed.
"Because my dear Elf the other members of the company may be a little unwelcoming if you appear to them, at first anyway, in your natural form." I nodded, defeated and transformed.
~{<>}~
(A/N: This is what Eleana looks like in her animal form)

~{<>}~I wanted to kill Gandalf as soon as I saw who our companions were

~{<>}~
I wanted to kill Gandalf as soon as I saw who our companions were. I was going to be travelling with a group of Dwarves. Dwarves. I growled at them as soon as I saw them. Of course, Gandalf hushed me straight away.
"Act more like a dog," he muttered to me out the corner of his mouth. I got somewhat bored after a while, as I watched the Dwarves singing and throwing cutlery around. I ended up curled up on the throw rug in front of Bilbo's Fire. Bilbo was a hobbit, meant to be the 14th member of the company. He was supposed to be the burglar but to be honest, he was the last person I would expect to play such a role.
~{<>}~
Some of the Dwarves were friendly. One, I think he was called Fili, noticed me laid in front of the fire. He sat down on the floor next to my head and scratched me behind the ears. He then called to Bilbo and asked if I was his dog.
"No," said the hobbit "I believe Gandalf brought her with him." Fili nodded and continued to make a fuss of me. Another Dwarf then entered the room and stared down at Fili.
"Who this?" He asked, a slight tone of laughter in his voice.
"It's Gandalf's dog, Kili," said Fili. The one called Kili sat down next to Fili and began to make a fuss of me too. Through listening to their conversation, I quickly learnt that the two Dwarves were brothers. After a little while, another Dwarf entered the room.
~{<>}~
He was taller than most and had a kingly air about him. His beard was short, like Fili and Kili's, and his long hair braided at the sides. There were a few streaks of grey in his hair, which was dark. His bright blue eyes shone piercingly from under his eyebrows. I could not help but find him handsome. An odd sensation flowed through me, as sudden as the end of a match bursting into flame. I felt attracted to him, though I was disgusted with myself for thinking this of a Dwarf. I shook my head briefly, trying to dislodge the thoughts from my mind.
"Fili, Kili," said the dwarf. His voice was deep and rich and manly. He had the bearing of a warrior about him, no questions asked.
"Uncle," said Kili. The Dwarf smiled briefly, though the smiled didn't go all the way to his eyes. He sat down in the armchair by the fire and stared into the flames. We all sat there for a moment in silence before all the other Dwarves began to pour into the room. The dwarf sat in the armchair stood up, his lit pipe in his hand, and leant against the fireplace. Slowly, one by one, the dwarves began to sing:

After they had finished singing, Gandalf turned to me and said:
"It's time, Eleana."
I got up from my comfortable arrangement on the throw rug and turned back into my Elven form. Thankfully, unlike most Skin-Changers, my clothes did not tear when I transformed so I was able to appear to the Dwarves in the same state I had left the inn in. There was a few gasps of protest and I could feel Fili and Kili staring at me is disbelief.
"Gandalf," said the Dwarf with the piercing blue eyes "Why have you brought a woman into our midst? And an Elf and shapeshifter to boot?"
"Skin-Changer actually," I commented. Gandalf stared at me from beneath his bushy grey eyebrows.
"Thorin," he said, turning to the blue eyed Dwarf "I have brought Miss Eleana with me to help with our mission. She is to be my helper and to watch over the company if I am not there to do so." The Dwarf, who I now knew to be called Thorin, stared at Gandalf disbelievingly.
"Why does the company need watching? And by this She-Elf ?"
I cringed as he put the emphasis on the words "She-Elf". Suddenly, a dwarf cleared his throat and looked at Thorin. He had a long white beard and wore deep red robes.
"Thorin," he said "Is there any harm in welcoming another into the company. There is strength in numbers is there not?" Thorin sighed and stared into the fire.
"Very Well," he sighed "Give her the contract that we gave the burglar."
I signed this contract and gave it to the white bearded dwarf, who I later discovered to be called Balin. He was undoubtedly the kindest and most trusting out of the 13 dwarves but I could not help thinking about Thorin. There was a certain thing about him that I wasn't quite sure about, the fire-like sensation in my heart, little did I know how much that thing meant...
~{<>}~
Authors Note:
Cliffhanger! Sorry to keep putting you in suspense like this guys but all will become clear I promise.
Hope you all like it so far, sorry if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes.
This is like the longest chapter in the book so far, just over 1000 words! Phew, my hands ache from all that typing.
I'll update as fast as I can but I need to have a social life too so I'll try and fit the next update in soon.
Vote, Comment, Tell me what you think so far.
MoonsongMarauder xxx