One Single Word

Eleana's POV
"Eleana!" Came a shout. I sighed, stopping in my tracks. Damn dwarf. He caught up with me, his breath heavy from running. My face stayed blank and I stood stock still.
"What do you want Thorin?" I asked, my voice expressionless. He stood next to me, bent double for a few moments, regaining his breath. I didn't so much as move.
"I said: What do you want?" I repeated. Thorin stood up straight and strode in front of me, looking at me piercingly.
"I want to know why you're leaving," he replied. I straightened up further, not making eye contact with him, staring out at the lake.
"Erebor has been reclaimed, the people have returned and the monarchy has been properly re-established. My role in the company is over. I have no other reason to remain here," I said, using my soldier training to remain as emotionless as ever. Thorin stared at me, looking a little hurt.
"And the real reason?" He asked. I frowned.
"That is the real reason," I replied. Thorin continued to stare.
"I-I thought..." He trailed off.
"Thought what Thorin?" I asked. I looked down at him. He seemed hurt, there was pain in his eyes. Not physical pain, emotional pain. He held my gaze, his blue eyes soft and melancholy.
"Have you forgotten everything? All that we have been through?" He asked.
"I would not have forgotten our adventures so soon Thorin, I will remember them well," I said. Thorin grabbed my head between his hands and pulled me down so our faces where inches apart. Dwarves can be irritatingly impulsive.
"I meant about us Eleana. All we've been through together. Have you really forgotten what you said to me, while I was lying there between life and death? You are not just a she-elf Eleana, so stop acting like one. You are so much more than that. You saved my life, on so many occasions Eleana. You have been prepared to sacrifice yourself for me, that's what you said." His voice was soft and gentle, his warm breath brushing my face.
"And it's not just that," he continued, looking me in the eyes "Did you really I'd just throw my heart out to a pretty girl that took my fancy? When I said what I said in Trollshaw I meant it. When what happened at Beorn's house happened, I wanted it to happen. You are the only woman I have ever felt like this for Eleana. Men zirup menu, menu vaen khuzi."
~{<>}~
I broke then. What resolve I had, what I had reassured myself with, it all came crumbling down. He needed me, just as I needed him. I found myself kissing him them, our lips interlocked, my hands tangling in his hair. He held onto me so tightly, his grip like a vice. I broke the kiss, gasping for air. He rested his forehead against mine again, his eyes filled with love. I kissed him once more, briefly upon the lips before straightening up, blushing. Thorin looked up at me, smiling. He had me back, and he knew it. Sneaky bastard.
~{<>}~
Thorin suddenly went quiet, almost seeming nervous. I watched him, my eyebrows raised questioningly. He met my gaze and quickly looked away again. I chuckled softly.
"What's wrong with you?" I said, smiling. Thorin bit his lip, one hand in his pocket. Here's where I wished I could raise one eyebrow. He took a deep breath.
"I-I've been meaning to ask something for a long time Eleana, I've just never been able to pluck up the courage, or find the right moment..." He trailed off awkwardly. I was none the wiser and twice as confused.
"Thorin, you're not making any sense. What are you talking about?" I asked, my mind trying to work it out. Thorin drew a small dark blue box out of his pocket and placed it in my hand.
"What is this?" I asked.
"Open it," he said. I looked at the box in my hand, quite unremarkable. Then gently opened it.
~{<>}~
A ring. Silver and gold, it was made of interlocking bands of metal coming together to centre on a flawless sapphire. I gasped.
"Th-Thorin..."
He gently stepped forward and placed a hand on my cheek.
"Eleana, daughter of Beorn, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?" He asked, his nervousness seemingly gone. I froze. My mind was racing. Saying yes would mean giving my life changing completely. I would be queen, no longer a lowly captain. No more training sessions, no more drills. Yet I found myself not wanting to give it up. It had been my life, ever since I was a teenager. What felt like hours passed in my mind before I uttered one single word.
"Yes."
Author's Note
Men zirup menu, menu vaen khuzi- You complete me, my beautiful warrior