Reasons and Regret

Eleana's POV
I sat on the ledge, overlooking Dale. The secret door was behind me, Balin had told me this was where they first entered Erebor. The breeze was cool on my face as I sat hugging my knees, looking out over the city. It was being re-built too, and was completed in the most part. The dwarves had helped for a time, then the humans took over and began restoring the city for themselves. Lights began to appear in windows as the sun sank below the horizon. It was beautiful.
~{<>}~
I just sat there, quietly thinking to myself. The mountain has been retaken, the dwarves had returned, Thorin was King. I found there was little reason for an elleth to stay in Erebor.
~{<>}~
I packed what little possessions I had left into my rucksack, which had been mended after the wear and tear of travel. I had stolen some supplies for the kitchen, the dwarves wouldn't miss a little food. In fact, knowing dwarves, they probably would. I pushed the thought from my mind as I shoved a spare tunic into the rucksack. I wouldn't go far, maybe back to Ada's or Rivendell. Maybe I'd make my way back to Lorien eventually. My mind wandered to Thorin, but I knew he would be fine. I tied my rucksack shut and pulled my cloak around my shoulders. He had his family, his home, his people, he didn't need me anymore.
~{<>}~
I headed down the mountain, the cold winter wind whipping around me, stinging my cheeks. I thought I heard a shout behind me, but I carried on walking. It was just the wind, just the stupid wind. I carried on down the mountain, the loose bits of stone slipping under my feet. I hadn't taken the main gate, I would have been seen, I took the little side door instead and was now Valar knows how many feet up a massive dwarvish statue. I looked down and found I was mercifully near the ground. Not too far now.
~{<>}~
My feet hit the ground with a satisfying gravelly crunch. I had made it. I shifted my rucksack on my shoulders and started forward, the mountain gravel cracking and crunching under my feet. A pang of regret hit my heart as I walked away, but I knew it was for the best. I was half-elf, half monster, there was no place for me in the heart of a dwarvish King. He'd be happier without me, surrounded by his subjects and his family. Not me.
~{<>}~
Thorin's POV
"Eleana!" I yelled. Where in Mahal's name was she? I had checked the gardens, her chambers, pretty much the entire mountain. Fili and Kili emerged at the end of the corridor.
"Any sign of her?" I asked, a little more desperation in my voice than I would have liked. Both shook their heads. I sighed.
"She can't have gone far uncle," said Fili. I nodded.
"I know lad, I know."
I leant against a wall for a moment, trying to think where she might be. Then came a shout down the corridor.
"Thorin!" I looked up. It was Aleron. She came barrelling towards me, before stopping in front of me and bending double, gasping for breath. Not quite graceful but I knew she didn't care.
"What is it Aleron?" I asked.
"She's... Main Gate... Just saw her... Heading toward... Mirkwood..." She panted. Without bothering to reply, I began at a brisk walk down the corridor which quickly turned into a run, earning a laugh from Fili and Kili. Why was she leaving? She couldn't, not now. We'd been through too much to let her go now. I loved her too dearly for that. I headed towards the main gate as quickly as I could. I had to get to her before she left.