The Bowman

We came to a calmer part of the river, we now had to paddle to keep moving. Bombur's barrel was sinking lower and lower in the water. Dwalin had said that Bombur was half drowned. We had to get to the shore. With a great amount of effort, we all managed to drag ourselves onto the shore. Kili was in pain, I could clearly see it even though he tried to cover it up.
"On your feet," urged Thorin.
"Kili's wounded," said Fili "His leg needs binding."
"There's an Orc pack on our tail," said Thorin "We keep moving."
"To where?" Asked Balin.
"To the mountain," said Bilbo "We're so close."
"A lake lies between us and that mountain," stated Balin "We have no way to cross it."
"So then we go round," continued Bilbo.
"The orcs will run us down, sure as daylight," growled Dwalin "With no weapons to defend ourselves." Thorin looked over at Kili, who's teeth were gritting in pain.
"Bind his leg," he ordered "Quickly. You have two minutes." The lads set about binding Kili's leg. I looked to Aleron, who was clearly worried about Kili.
"He'll be fine," I muttered to her. She looked at me, clearly not believing me.
"He's stronger than he looks," I said. Aleron nodded, though still looked a little worried.
~{<>}~
Suddenly, we looked up to see a figure holding a bow and arrow. Dwalin held a stick, Kili prepared to throw a rock. Both were shot out of their hands in an instant.
"Do it again," said the man "And you're dead." Balin began to approach him, hands raised in surrender.
"Excuse me but you're from Laketown if I'm not mistaken," said Balin, thinking quickly "That barge over there, it would be available for hire by any chance?" The man lowered his bow slightly, staring at Balin. He walked over to his barge, we followed.
~{<>}~
"What makes you think I would help you?" The man asked as he rolled our barrels onto the barge.
"Those boots have seen better days, so has that coat," analysed Balin "No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?"
"A boy and two girls," the man said, continuing to load on our barrels.
"And you're wife," continued Balin "I imagine she's a beauty."
"Aye," said the man, stopping for a moment "She was." The man looked back at Balin, sadness in his eyes. Balin's face fell.
"Sorry, I..." He began.
"Oh come on," interrupted Dwalin "Enough of the niceties."
"What's your hurry?" The man asked curiously.
"What's it to you?" Growled Dwalin.
"I would like to know who you are," said the man "And what you are doing in these lands."
"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains," Balin lied quickly "Journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills." The man didn't seem to believe him.
"Simple merchants you say," he said.
"We need food, supplies, weapons," said Thorin "Can you help us?" The man went silent.
"I know where these barrels came from," he said, a hand on one of the barrels.
"What of it?" Snapped Thorin.
"I don't know what business you had with the Elves," said the man "But I don't think it ended well." Thorin stared at the man.
"No one enter Laketown but by leave of the master," said the man "All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm, he would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduial." I growled at that, a deep hatred still burned in my heart. Thorin put a hand on my shoulder.
"Come on," he mouthed at Balin. Balin stared at him as if to say 'I'm doing my best over here!'.
"I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen," began Balin again.
"Aye," said the man "But for that you would need a smuggler."
"For which we would pay double," said Balin. The two of them stared at each other for a moment. The man nodded and we began to board the barge.
Authors Note:
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It took me ages to write because I had to watch the scene and pause it after each line because I couldn't remember what they had said. Anyway, next chapter coming up ASAP.
Vote, Comment, Tell me what you think,
MoonsongMarauder xxx