Things we do for our pet

*cover made by CelipsoWinter*  Love you dear! :)   Story after the cover :)

Amber Mikelson

I hate when parents give us ultimatum. They allowed me to keep Panther, if and only If I pay for his expenses. Now to save money for college I had to keep what the photography job gave so for the love of my pet I decided to find another job.

And sadly besides writing and photography I had no other talent. So it will be difficult to find a job. I did talk to the old man of library who was apparently called Gerard Brunt; for a job there but he said he didn't require any help.

I was kind of left stump after all the search for almost a week. But to keep me in okay mood my only job was going really fine. Everyone loved my work and almost every day there was a photograph clicked by me in the newspaper.

My city history project wasn't going too well, I had to submit the report by end of the month with appropriate photograph. They wanted to do a section on Westwend on some charity carnival that happened every year in this town. I had to make the report before that.

But my nightmares were getting worse and lack of sleep was making me edgy and kind of nauseous all day long. My eyes were swollen most of the time and headache was like breathing to me now, constant.

Panther was no trouble, it didn't bother my parents when I was at work and was a calm obedient dog when I was around. It looked like he just sat there licking his paw and observing people around him. Talking to him was best part of my day, it bought me a new sense of calm. Maybe because he was a silent listener and didn't judge me for everything.

But for some reason I didn't even discuss the nightmares and voices with him, maybe he was part of my insanity, after all he smelled like my panther.

Sometimes, I imagined it or maybe saw amber eyes replace those chocolate brown eyes but it was so rare that I know that it was not real.

Anyway I loved my pet.

"Now tell me Panther, I am good at nothing. What should I do to keep you?" I asked him and he raised his head like he understood me.

"Maybe I can be a baby sitter?" I asked brightening up at the idea.

Panther gave a bark that clearly said he was mocking me.

"Yeah, I can't handle kids. I am already tired of Candice."

"How about... a waitress?"

This time Panther ignored me and did the gazing silently thing.

"There is a diner in the market. I will be a waitress there." I finally decided.

***

Weekends were a busy day in market. There was lot of crowd and it made me realise town had lot of people. There were small shops set up just for the weekend. Usually on the weekends I use to just sleep and chill around the house wearing pajamas and lose t shirts.