High on Sweet Side

Amber Mikelson

I was in the library, it was Wednesday. It had been more than a week since I joined Liquid Heaven and it was almost perfect, almost, because I realised working two jobs was exhausting.

I had amazing co-workers. It turned out that Terian also worked at the cafe and we instantly clicked. He was friendly, mostly shy but really nice guy. He was good looking and I was sure most of the girls came to cafe in order to meet a Hood member. But he was really uncomfortable about the whole attention thing.

Then there was Josephine, she was woman in her early thirties, plump, kind and mother of two. She was incharge of my training and she made the best lattes in this world or maybe galaxy. She got impatient sometimes but for most parts she was really nice. These two were the only people I talked to.

I was in library because I had only had two weeks to get the project done. I had many photographs of the town but not one of them felt right. I was getting frustrated since I was not able to do the thing I was good at.

Today Anna gave me a day off from office work and asked me to go to library to help me with the project.

"Gerard, where are the books about Westwend?" I asked the old man I knew too well now.

He smiled , "Interested in town history. Not many youngsters are."

I nodded and didn't correct him.

I found a really small collection much to my relief. There were only five books.

I picked up the one with black hard cover that said Mysteries of Westwend. The title and cover was really capturing so I sat down and looked through it. After flipping pages for few minutes, a title caught my eyes.

Vertians

Vertians or you could call them Shifters are the one that guide each city that even had a possibility of supernatural existence. But the first Vertian was born in Westwend. History tells us that Vertians are made to guard the town from evil and for that they do not restrain from shedding some blood if they have to.

They have senses sharper than humans but one cannot distinguish between human or a Shifter. They look exactly alike. As far as information tells us it is they can take form of any animal or bird they want.

They are not like animals that forget who they are once in animal form and take form according to their own will.

Many say they are still here while some say it's just a legend.

What do you think?

The article ended there and I sat there reeling with after affect.

What do I think? I have seen a panther known for being a killer responding to my touch when I was just eight. I have been hearing noises in my dream, I have been almost attacked by a wolf and then saved by a panther or I think so.

But weirdly my dog smell like the panther I met ten years ago. I think this all might not be a legend. I had the perfect idea for the report now.

I was not stupid enough to write about Vertians but I was going to make a report on hidden beauties of the town. And that might include a little information about Shifters as well. This article was definitely worth a read and got me all riled up. I had to find someone to help me look into this Vertians legends.

"Gerard can I take this book with me?" I asked.

"I am sorry dear but the books with Town Seal are not to be taken out of the library." His wrinkled face clearly looked apologetic.