~46~

Around twenty minutes later (It took that long to pick an outfit from Erica's closet) I had climbed out the window and run away blindly storming the streets. With of course Mr Cat leading the way and peering around every corner suspiciously. His slitted pupils dilated till there was no longer colour in his eyes and he seemed unfriendly towards random strangers that would pass by us.

There was something very different about him that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It's like he's waiting for something to happen, someone to jump out from behind tree or shoot at us from a car. Or the usual demon awaiting to lure me in then eat me alive while singing a creepy nursery rhyme. He was very anxious in his behaviour, it was subtle but knowing him the way I do I could tell he was disturbed. When I asked all I got was a blank glare then he focused back on hissing at people. I decided not to ask again from then on.

"How long before you think he'll notice?" I questioned Mr Cat. I rolled my eyes at his meow. "Yes I know you can't really speak, or at least not in this realm. But that dream... Mr Cat it was unlike any dream I've ever had. Do all angels go through that transformation or are they all born that way anyway?"

Just another meow.

"How come you can talk in my dream but not in real life?" Because anything can happen in a dream you idiot I mentally answered myself.

He made a sigh of impatience and I decided to drop the subject but it occurred to me that something is not adding up. I can feel the pang of fear tickling at my feathers and the desperate need to be home is now. I need to see Sally and Michael and maybe Aunt Gladys. What about Henry? Oh fuck it. I don't care about him anymore. But Lara? And what rumour would Nicole be spreading about me now? I began speed walking.

"Mr Cat we need to move faster."

"Meow."

When we finally got back to my place I ran right for the front door and slammed my fist against it in urgency. It was already open and it creaked as my force against it made it slam into the wall. Why is it open? I shared a look with the cat that last a blink before staring back inside. There's a cold draft coming from the house.

"Mum?" I called as I stepped inside. Mr Cat slid through my feet as I glanced up at the staircase. "Sally?" I continued walking into the living room finding the television left on with the Real Housewives. Mum never misses this show even if it's a re-run. Don't panic yet! She could be on a pee break or getting snacks. "Aunt Gladys?" I walked into the kitchen. Empty. "Michael?" I thought about calling for the twins but decided against it.

1. They are never home

2. I would have called for them as Bitch 1 and Bitch 2. And if everyone else is home they wouldn't have appreciated it.

"Mum!" I shouted the concern rising.

"Meow." My eyes spotted Mr Cat sitting up on the island bench but he was facing away from me staring down at something. I slowly walked around it and lost my breath at the pool of blood splattered on the floor. Immediately I panicked and screamed for everyone. Then I started running out from the kitchen following the blood trail and it stopped right back at the staircase. I did not see the blood there before which means it's fresh, someone is dead and the murderer is still here... And it just avoided me. A dark side of me got angry, the other, maybe the light side got frightened and wanted to run away for help rather than use my power blindly and face the murderer. I was going to leave, not be that stupid character in the horror movie that follows the thing that can and will kill you but!

I heard a door close from upstairs.

Way up in the attic.

My breathing went uneasy as my hands shook violently. I clenched one into a tight fist and the other grabbed the railing. Mr Cat didn't stop me from moving up but he didn't follow me either.