Prologue

I crossed the narrow street as fast as my legs would let me. Stealing a quick glance behind my back, I discovered my chasers kept on running tirelessly.

"I must hide somewhere." I paused briefly, frantically looking around.

Below the dark, starless sky, I only saw empty store buildings and a few houses, and nobody would let an orphan thief in. I forced myself to keep running while I heard the men's yells as they became louder, ordering me to stop. Breathing heavily, I felt my lungs burning. If I didn't find a place to hide in, I would soon faint.

Suddenly, I was firmly grabbed by the wrist and pulled back. A strong arm kept me from losing my balance as it pulled me behind a street corner; when I looked up to see my rescuer, I found a pair of green eyes staring at me.

"Are they gone?", he asked in a whisper.

     I winked confusedly in response as my eyes studied him intently. Under the hood of a dark cloak, the boy looked around seventeen years old, maybe older; dirty-brown hair covered half his face and, even though he was well hidden under his attire, I could tell he was strong by the firmness of his grip. I blushed. He was still holding my hand.

     I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts up and glanced behind the corner. The men were approaching very quickly.

"They're not", I finally answered in panic, and he let go of my wrist.

"Follow me", he urged. I knew I shouldn't trust someone I had just met, but I had no more options, so I obeyed. We both started running towards a nearby old tavern, him pointing to some huge wine barrels that would serve us as a hiding place.

"Who are y—" the question died in my mouth as the boy put his fingers on my lips, indicating me to keep silent. I held my breath, hearing some footsteps. The chasers.

"She must have gone further", said one of them.

"We must find her. Stealing my food can't remain unpunished!" complained another one.

"Let's go that way", suggested the third one, pointing to the opposite direction. They all agreed and began running again.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, they've gone now", I whispered as I watched them distance. "I'm Sienna, by the way. Thanks for your —" I said, turning around to face him, only to find there was no one next to me. "—help", I ended, wondering if I had just imagined that mysterious boy.