Thirty lines

Sienna's P.O.V
Today was the thirtieth line.

    After Baelfire had set me off, I knew what I had to do. Bae didn't want me close to him anymore, something that, surprisingly, I had come to give no importance at all. So, once I found myself alone in the dense jungle of Neverland again, I began to wander around the woods, trying to find a special spot to claim as mine.

     That didn't take me too long; blame the hunger, blame the exhaustion, I soon found a place to camp. The first nights I slept beside a small fire, but my cracking back and my ash-covered face made me realize I couldn't stay like that forever. Five days later, my new treehouse was built.

     Of course I could have gone back to the old one but, much to his satisfaction, that would have been Pan's victory, and I had promised myself I would never allow that to happen again.

     During the whole process of building that new treehouse, I didn't dare to use the advantage of my magic. Nevertheless, there was something I was more afraid of: my imagination didn't have any power over Neverland anymore. It all had started at Bae's cave, when I had pictured some cooked meat but nothing had appeared as a result. Anything I would wish for vanished in thin air, if it was ever there. I was far more than concerned, really: that made things even harder for me. So, during the past weeks, I had fed mainly on fish, berries, fruits and some small animals I would occasionally hunt with the bow and arrows I had been given in Pan's camp, before I left. But, as Bae had put it, it was either that or starving to death.

     And, every day, just after the first beams of light would penetrate my only and small room through the two windows, I carved a small line with my knife in the main trunk of the tree that held my house.

     Today was the thirtieth line.

     I slid my knife into its sheath again. I had forgotten to carve the line that morning and, by now, it was already sunset.

     I looked around the room, the broad and strong trunk being in the center of it. It consisted of a cot –if you could even say so–, a hammock and some minor pieces of furniture. I had stolen almost all of them from Pan, when the Lost Boys were "at training". After that, I didn't dare to go back near the camp again, even though my new home was quite far from there.

     To make things even better, Pan hadn't showed himself near my house in all those days. Whereas I wanted to feel relieved and happy for that, it only made a disturbing and alarming feeling to haunt me wherever I went, causing my guard to be up at any moment.

     Not that I miss him, either.

     I went to the nightstand beside the cot and grabbed the biggest cloak, which I used as a towel. It was time for a bath, and I knew the perfect place for it.

***

The waterfall looked even more beautiful at night.

     It hadn't taken me too long to discover that small lagoon and waterfall near my new treehouse, as there was a narrow stream running past it. After ensuring that no evil sirens or other bloody creatures were stalking in the depths of the enchanting lagoon, I decided to make it my own personal bath.

     I got rid of each of my piece of clothes, leaving my white blouse, corset, tight trousers, tall boots and, finally, my undergarments laying on the ground. It was a freeing sensation and, as today there was no cold breeze blowing, I felt even warmer.

     I left my cloak near the shore of the lagoon and finally went into the water. I swam for a while, getting used to the somewhat cold water, before I completely submerged. It felt good to finally get rid of the dirt and the grime, and feel my tangled hair straight and soft again.