Bittersweet reencounters

Pan's P.O.V
There was a soft knock on the door.

I thought it was Felix at first, coming to my treehouse to ask whether my plan had succeeded or not. To my surprise, Felix was not standing at the other side of the threshold when I opened the door. In fact, nothing was.

I turned my head in all directions, looking at my surroundings suspiciously.

It was then when came that harsh, frightful hiss.

The wind blew suddenly, a cold breeze making the hair on my neck to raise. I turned round, locking eyes with two other lustrous, yellow ones.

"How did you not tell me about her powers?" I blurted out immediately, furious with the figure standing –or rather, towering over me.

"Me?" the obscure shadow hissed again. It was a like sharp dagger slicing the air, sticking then into my very skin and bones. "It was you who let down their guard."

I scowled furiously at my own shadow. "Nonsense! How would I know about her magic?"

"Well, you did know about her past, didn't you?" the shadow replied bitterly. "You know I'm under your orders, but I highly recommend you to watch out from now on."

I narrowed my eyes at it, loathing a mere shadow giving orders to me.

"That power of hers," it continued. "You must never underrate it, nor her."

"I know." I spat through gritted teeth. "Anyhow, I was going to fetch her now."

I started walking into the forest, not bothering to dismiss my shadow. However, the obnoxious creature flew towards me and blocked my way, gaining a sharp glare from me.

"Move." I just scowled.

"No, you must not get her back yet." it replied.

A ball of fire was lit on my hand, my mouth drying. "I must not?"

"She will run away again and, now that she has that power on her side, it will be more difficult for you to control her." the shadow explain, my shoulders lightly relaxing. "If you oblige her to stay, she may just... explode."

I was beginning to lose my patience. "What do you suggest me to do, then?"

"Watch her." it merely answered.

My expression softened as I tried to suppress a smile, not disliking the idea at all.

"Watch her?" I asked anyways, the shadow letting out a hollow sound that could have been interpreted as a chuckle.

"Follow her, observe her." it clarified. "Protect her."

I nodded, the grin making its way to my lips being irrepressible now. However, before I could recommence my way to woods, I heard a last warning from my cunning shadow:

"And do not forget to keep the distance," it stated bluntly. "Or your self-control will be gone with it."

Sienna's P.O.V
"Bae!" I yelled, this time louder and with more confidence.

I tried to get up, but my weakened body collapsed on the floor again. I saw the dark figure approaching me at a fast pace as my vision blurred.

"Bae–" I repeated drowsily as my head spun achingly. I lay on the ground, unable to keep my head up anymore.

The boy started running in my direction, bending down next to me when he arrived. My eyelids felt heavy, as though all my energy had been absorbed. Two strong arms lifted my inert body up, whispering something soothingly.