Growing closer

Thomas' P.O.V
I took the last bite of the slightly scorched piece of meat, eventually finishing it all.

     "So," I said, scratching my head. "If I am not mistaken, a bunch of creepy teenagers, called 'the Lost Boys', work for Pan, who rules Neverland, this weird island where no one grows up."

     Sienna nodded her head with amusement.

     "That's right," she answered with a smile. "Time doesn't go by in Neverland."

     Somehow, that bizarre sentence made complete sense to me. I had barely stayed a day with that strange, hot-tempered girl, yet it felt like we had known each other for far long before. Within such short time, I had got to see her in mistrust, happiness, relief, confusion and madness; perhaps even fear of herself. She had been kind and hostile to me. And, even though I may have seen her in a moment of extreme feebleness, I was absolutely convinced Sienna was anything but weak.

     It was sunset by then. We had lit a small fire by her treehouse before eating our dinner: a small rabbit Sienna had hunted for us both.

     "You were one of them, weren't you?" I asked suddenly, looking at her intently.

     She just avoided my gaze. "I wish I could say I was forced to, but it's not completely true."

     "How did you end up here?" I insisted, never looking away.

     Sienna's sapphire eyes finally met mine. "Pan... he kind of captured my friend. I went after him, tried to take him back home... next thing I remember, I woke up here." Sienna explained. "Upon seeing what Pan was capable of, we both began to look for ways to get off the island."

     She fell silent; it must have hurt to recall those memories, yet she held an emotionless face.

     "I lost important people here, you know?" she said, raising his eyes to the starless sky. "And I lost myself too."

     I wanted to ask about her friend, what happened to him, why she abandoned the Lost Boys. But I didn't.

     In spite of everything, there was something dark in Sienna that stole my trust away, and I could sense she felt the same way towards me. I had decided to let the previous events fall into oblivion. However, there was something obscure and intense, something that kept haunting my mind.

     "Before, when you were..." I chose my words carefully. "When you were not sure of my true identity, when you were yelling at me, something was preventing me from turning away from you."

     She was listening intently, not blinking once.

     "An invisible force, it– it was pulling me towards you." I tried to find the words to describe my feeling, but nothing would do justice to it.

     "Magic."

     Except, maybe, that.

     "Magic?" I questioned in bewilderment and, no use in denying it, slight fear.

     Sienna looked around, searching for something which even she may not have known. And it must have been that way because, when she found apparently nothing, she turned to the fire in front of us.

     Before I could wonder what was about to occur, the flames swelled rapidly and ate into the air, almost reaching a branch of a nearby tree. Fortunately, the blazes decreased before that could happen.

     "You did that?" I asked, eyes wide in amazement.

     Sienna offered a timid smile. "Yeah, it was me."