The Legend: Chapter 2 - Burdens

Zelda’s P.O.V

Fire engulfed buildings, cries from the heartbroken and the wounded rang in the air. The horrid metallic smell of blood became pungent as an evil force pressed through the gates of Castle Town. Men, women, and children were violently cut down by their curved swords then left in the dirt to be consumed by the flames. “Princess?” A frail voice questioned. I rose drastically from my slumber and heaved deep breaths. “It was only a dream Zelda.” I whispered to myself.  A faint light disappeared on the back of my hand, I brought it to my forehead and wiped away my cold sweat. “Enter.” I said with authority. “My Triforce seems to be acting up.” I said to myself. The door opened and people poured in. Two maids with Hylian uniforms pulled back the curtains bathing the room in sunlight. It brought a warm feeling which seemed comforting after that horrible nightmare. Another woman helped me out of bed and prepared me for the day. She helped me out of my night ware and into my custom royal attire. “Good morning Zelda.” A husky voice said. I turned to see my bodyguard, mentor and lifelong friend. “Good morning Impa.” I said with a large smile trying to hide my worries from my nightmare. “Another nightmare huh?” She asked. Impa always had a way to see right through me. “Leave us.” She commanded to the maids. They left the room with haste and closed the door behind them. “Tell me Princess, what was it about?” Impa asked with worry in her voice. I took a deep breath before I enlightened her and brought up the abominable dream. Over time I described to her ever detail. Impa only stoop there in silence as I finished. ”What could it mean?” I asked. “You said the people attacking the town had curved swords correct?” Impa asked. I nodded with a response. “Yes.” Impa rose from her chair and walked towards me. “Only Gerudo use curved swords, it’s part of their culture. I believe this is a sign. Did your Triforce react to this in any way?” She asked as she lifted my hand to examine the Triforce symbol embedded in my skin. “Yes it glowed when I awoke from my nightmare.” I said. “I shall advise the King to keep an eye on the Gerudo.” Impa informed as she opened the door. “Impa do you think the Gerudo are plotting to overrun Hyrule?” I asked with fear in my voice. “That could be the situation.” She said as she closed the door. I was alone in my chambers once more. I fiddled with my hands in my lap as I stared at the Triforce mark on my hand. “What is going to happen to Hyrule?” I asked myself. I titled my head in defeat as if the answer was never going to appear before me. Suddenly a face flashed in my mind. It was a young man about 17 or 18 years old, about my age. He had dirty blonde hair that parted to his right, and a smile painted on his face. He opened his eyes as if he was awakening from a never ending sleep. His eyes were a deep blue and glistened. They moved as if he was searching for something. His features left me breathless. The image faded and was soon drowned out by the light my Triforce mark was illuminating. “Who was he? Why was he in my vision?” So many questions filled my mind. “He was rather handsome.” I said in a hushed tone. I could feel my cheeks becoming hot and the pigment changing to a faint pink. I slapped my hands on my cheeks to wake myself up from this stupor. “A Princess doesn’t have time to dream about boys.” I said as I left my bedroom to take on my duties for the day.