The Legend: Chapter 20 - True Carnage

Link’s P.O.V

I was sprinting through the corridors which were filled with piles of bodies. Blood pooled on the floors, and the smell of the butchery was eye watering. It only took me a matter of seconds to realize that the castle was under attack. The Hylian guards were highly outnumbered and unprepared. No one was safe. I was terrified of what was going on around me but I was mostly worried about Zelda. Everything around me was a blur, shouts of fighting men and the sounds of weapons clashing echoed. Small fires lit the dark corridors yet it was too dark to see clearly. It felt like hours until I reached the stair well that lead to the royal quarters, for some reason there was no one on this floor, in fact it was rather barren of any life. There was no sign of life no sound, until I heard a voice cry out. “Get off of me!” The voice shouted. “Zelda!” I shouted. At that moment I took off running with my sword in hand. I reached Zelda’s room and saw that to men stood in front of her door. They immediately charged for me, but I paid them attention and simply cut them down almost effortlessly. I had no idea what had come over me, but all that I was thinking about was Zelda’s safety. I wiggled the bronze door knob hoping it would be unlocked, it was locked. I slammed my body against it in frustration but it didn’t budge. I leaned my head against the door to hear what was going on inside the room. I could hear sobbing from inside.  “Think Link, think!” I said out loud. I looked to the ground where one of the men I knocked out from earlier. I rolled his body over to see if he had anything I could open the door with. On one of the loops of his belt was a key dangling from the leather strap. I snatched it up quickly and stuck it into the keyhole. The door opened and the moment I stepped inside my anger took control. A man was on top of Zelda, he was feasting on her chest and that didn’t sit too well with me. Her eyes were closed shut and her cheeks were stained with tears. One of Zelda’s cheeks was pink and slightly puffing, as if someone had hit her. I was done being a bystander and swiftly made my move. I stomped over to the edge of the bed and pulled the man off of Zelda and threw him onto the ground. “What in  Hylia?!” He shouted as he looked up at me. I stayed silent as I kicked him in the head knocking him out cold. “Filthy vermin.”I spat coldly at the man. “Link?” Zelda whimpered. I turned toward her. Tears were running down her face and her nightgown was ripped down her middle exposing her chest. I walked to her and offered her my hand. She reached out hesitantly but she then quickly grabbed my hand. I pulled her into my chest and wrapped my arms around her. She gasped at the act but slowly returned the act. Zelda began sobbing into my chest. “Shhh its ok, it’s all over Zelda.” I whispered soothingly.