The Legend: Chapter 61- In an Hour's Time

Link’s P.O.V

"You have at least an hour to travel through the underground waterways, any longer and your air supply will run out and you will drown.” Queen Rutella warned.  I couldn’t help but gulp nervously. I wasn’t a really strong swimmer to begin with, and a time limit always made things more stressful. “But do not fret young hero. The underground tunnels aren’t that long. Especially since Zora’s Domain is the half-way point for most of our underground tunnels.” She continued. “Thank you for this token. I’m sorry to seem rude but I need to leave immediately. Zelda cannot wait any longer.” I explained. Queen Rutella nodded her head in acknowledgment. “Go to your Princess and bring her home Link.” She blessed. “Thank you you’re Majesty.” I stated with a slight bow. Prince Ralis then showed us out of the throne room and down a few hallways. He brought us to a door and assured us inside. Within the room there was a pool that cascaded downward into a dimly lit tunnel underwater. “Take this tunnel all the way to Lake Hylia, then take the bridge over the Gerudo gorge. I wish you luck on your quest Master Link.” Prince Ralis stated politely. “Thank you Prince Ralis, we shall meet again soon I hope.” I stated as I patted him on the back gently. “Perhaps on the eve of battle we shall, but until then good luck.” He commented as he exited the room and shut the door to the room behind him. I then quickly put on the scale necklace and waded to my waist in the water. “Wait!” Navi shouted as she burst through the doors. She was surprisingly strong for such a tiny thing. “Were you planning on leaving without saying goodbye?!” Navi exclaimed. In truth that was exactly what I was planning on. But it wasn’t because I found her seriously annoying but because I was in a rush. Zelda is in danger, and she can no longer wait. “No, I just need to get to Zelda pronto.” I stated. Navi flew at me with great speed, but instead of a kick to the head from her I received a hug. The fairy was hugging me! ”Be careful Blondie. You better come back in one piece with the Princess or so help me not even the Goddesses and the Triforce can help you!” She shouted. “Goodbye Navi. I will see you when I come back.” I promised. “You better.” She huffed. With one final wave I dived into the water. It was cold and fluid. The magical properties from the Zora scale made me feel strange. I breathed underwater just as I did out of water. Naturally I inhaled and exhaled without choking on the water filling my lungs. Fish and other underwater creatures swam past me towards the end of the tunnel as I kicked around and pushed through the water with my limbs. I had exactly one hour to reach the exit of the tunnel, time was of the essence. “If I die here no one will be able to reach Zelda in time.” I thought to myself as I kicked fast and pushed myself harder. The tunnel was just a straight and narrow path with no odd turns or forked ways thankfully. It was just easy swimming head on. Seaweed grew from the sea floor and tangled around coral and other sea plants. The seaweed eventually became thicker and thicker until it deemed impossible to maneuver through. I shoved through the long kelp hoping to find a break in between the unnatural growth but it seemed to go on forever. The kelp forest seemed to be slowing me down and time was narrowing down. As I tried diving through I saw a light peak through in between the kelp. The sea life swayed along with the motion of the water giving me a short glance of the exit. I made a quick movement forward but as I did I felt something latched onto my leg. Kelp had managed to wrap itself tightly around my calf and all the way down to my ankle. Violently I kicked, pulled, and tugged but it was useless. Suddenly I felt my throat close in. Water rushed into my lungs as I inhaled. Time was up and my ability of breathing underwater was cut short. Instantly I closed my mouth and held my breath. I tried to remain calm but I needed to free myself from the strong kelp in order to return to the surface. The lack of oxygen began to immediately affect me. My vision blurred, and my body was struggling to move. Just as I thought it was over I reached for my sword. I unsheathed it and swung it weakly towards the kelp that had me in its grasp. Instantly the kelp cut in half and I was free. I frantically clawed to the surface and burst my head out of the water gasping for air. I practically choked on the salty water as I huffed for air while simultaneously paddling my arms to remain afloat. Shore was only a short swim away and the great Gerudo gorge was in sight. Zelda was close and soon she would be safe. In the distance the sun was setting rapidly and light was fleeting. I crawled onto shore just as the last light vanished behind the vast rocky structure of the gorge. I had reached Lake Hylia, which was the main water source of Hyrule. It was untouched by most due to the inhabitance of the Zoras so no other people besides me seemed to be around. Leisurely I collected myself and reached into my adventure pack. I quickly pulled out Epona’s whistle and blew into it gently. The sweet tune rang and echoed until a soft whinny appeared by my side. She was a fast horse but her loyalty always made her even more so. Epona was very protective of me and I of her. Whenever I called she was there in a heartbeat. “Hiya girl.” I cooed as I patted her mane softly. She neighed in response as I mounted her and gently kicked her side to indicate that we needed to move. Epona obeyed and soon we were just before the Gerudo gorge with the cover of nightfall.