The Legend: Chapter 55 - The Stubborn Hero

Zelda’s P.O.V

 When I woke up I found myself in bed. I was dreadfully thirsty, so I scrambled for the glass of water that sat on the bedside table. I drank it down quickly and felt somewhat satisfied. “Zelda?” A voice called from behind the door. “Come in.” I instructed in return. The open door revealed that it was Impa. “I see that you are awake, child. And feeling better I hope?” She inquired. I nodded my head yes as I smoothed back the loose hairs that managed to get free from my tight braid. “What happened?” I asked sternly. Impa sighed and sat beside me on the bed. “Do you want the short or long version?” Impa asked. “The long version, I would like all of the details. If that’s not too much to ask?” I inquired. “Not at all child.” Impa chuckled. I felt her hand on my back as she rubbed soothing circles. “From what I’ve heard from the trio of Gorons that you rescued, after you fell into the heart of the volcano you fell ill to the intense heat. The healer of the village says you fainted due to heat exhaustion.” Impa explained. “Great.” I sighed in disappointment. “Now I’ll seem as weak as everyone thinks I am.” I huffed. “Not at all! In fact the Goron people have decided to follow you child!” Impa exclaimed. “They saw your act of compassion to save those Gorons, and found you worthy of their alliance.” She explained. “I didn’t know there was any doubt in our alliance between the Gorons and us.” I stated. “Neither did me, until they came to me in search of you. They wanted to thank you and Link personally for saving them.” Impa explained. “Link?! Where is he?!” I demanded as I pulled the sheet off of me and climbed off of the bed. “Child you must remain calm.” Impa instructed. “Where is he, Impa?” I demanded. “He’s resting as should you be.” Impa scolded. “Impa I’m not a child! I can take care of myself!” I exclaimed as I tried to get past her. “Zelda you must rest. You can’t see Link right now anyways! He is….” She trailed. “He’s what?!” I demanded. “He’s been poisoned, Zelda.” Impa stated. “What?! How?!” I questioned. “As you know, Death Mountain was compromised by Gerudos. We can only assume that it was a Gerudo who has done this. Link had been pierced by a poison tipped arrow. The healers have yet to find out what poison it is in order to find an antidote.” Impa explained. I sat there in shock. “I didn’t think the Gerudos were even capable of that.” I stated. “I believe that they had some help from interested parties.” Impa confirmed. “Ganon?” I inquired. “More than likely.” Impa sighed. “He needs to be stopped before anyone else gets hurt Impa!” I exclaimed as I stood up. Impa assured me to sit back down before speaking again. “And he will Zelda.” Impa stated. “It is just a matter of time before this war is won.” She added. “But what if it’s just a matter of time before Link dies? He’s been through so much! He’s come so close to death far too many times! I can’t watch him die Impa.” I cried as she hugged me and rubbed soothing circles on my back. “Hush child, Link will survive.” She assured me. “How do you know that?” I sniffled. “It is his destiny, as it is yours to guide him and give him your Wisdom.” Impa stated. “My wisdom.” I stated in realization. “You have to take me to Link!” I exclaimed. “Link isn’t in any shape for visitors Zelda.” Impa stated firmly. “I can help him!” I shouted. “Zelda you aren’t well you must rest. You can’t be using all of your strength to heal him.” Impa scolded. “I feel fine Impa just please take me to him.” I begged. Impa seemed to take a moment to consider this. “Fine, but we must be quick.” She stated. I jumped up from the bed and followed Impa out the door. We slipped down the hallway and entered a bedroom similar to mine. When the door was opened it revealed Link. He was awake, but obviously in pain. ”I’ll wait outside.” Impa stated as she shut the door behind her. Once the door closed   I dropped by his side and grasped his hand. “Hiya Zellie.” Link croaked out. “How are you feeling?” I asked with a quivering voice. “It’s my fault he’s here on this bed.” I thought to myself. “I’m fine.” Link whispered. His eyes were half way closed as if he was fighting to keep them open, and his brow was drenched in cold sweat. Beside Link’s bed there was a small wash basin filled with water. I grabbed the towel beside the basin and dipped it into the water. I rung it over the basin and folded neatly. Gently I pressed the wet cloth to Link’s forehead. He shuddered as the cloth came into contact with his skin. “You don’t seem fine.” I fake laughed as I dabbed Link’s face. “I’ve been better I guess.” He laughed. His laughter quickly vanished once his laughter changed into coughs. Link sat up and coughed into his arm violently. “Link?” I inquired as he turned away from me. He didn’t respond as he continued to cough. Once he was finished he faced me again only to reveal that the corners of his mouth were colored with blood. “Link!” I exclaimed. He jumped slightly as he lied back down. “Your coughing up blood!” I explained. “That’s new.” Link chuckled weakly. “This isn’t funny Link.” I cried. Link turned on his side to look at me. “I know but that doesn’t mean we have to treat the situation like a growing time bomb.” Link stated. I lowered my head and stared at my hands that were folded in my lap. “Zelda look at me.” He demanded. I lifted my head to look at him. “This isn’t your fault, and don’t for one second blame yourself.” Link stated firmly. “But it is my fault Link.” I stated. Link took his arm from out and under the covers to reach me. He took his hand and placed it on my cheek. “I’ll be at full strength in no time.” He promised. “Link you’ve been poisoned. This isn’t just some sickness that you can just sleep off!” I exclaimed. Link sighed impatiently and rolled onto his back on the bed. “Zelda promise me that you will not heal me.” Link said with a new found seriousness. I straightened slightly as he stared at me. “What? Can you read my mind or something?” I joked. Link didn’t laugh as his staring continued. “No, I just know you Zelda. I know that you always put yourself before others, but you will never let anyone put themselves before you. “  Link explained. He coughed again which only caused more blood to appear around his mouth. “Link…” I trailed as I watched him wipe his mouth with his sleeve. His eyes widened as he saw his crimson blood stain his white shirt. “Promise Zelda!” He shouted. I jumped in surprise as he yelled. Link never yelled like this, he seemed so…so….angry. “Link are you angry with me?” I asked. “No! I’m not angry with you!” He shouted. “I just….I just can’t let you do this Zelda.” He trailed. “Why not?!” I questioned. Link narrowed his eyes and frowned. “Don’t fight me on this Zelda.” Link begged. “Link you are in pain and worse you could be dying! The healers haven’t found an antidote and you’re growing weaker! Please just let me heal you! I screamed. “No Zelda. I think its best you leave.” Link stated firmly as he turned away from me. Suddenly the door burst open and Ronin entered the room along with his mother and Impa. “Oh sorry we didn’t mean to interrupt.” Ronin’s Mother stated. “Link just let me-“ I started ignoring the new company. “No Zelda! You may not heal me! Get out!” Link shouted. I flinched as his tone turned sharp and his voice became deeper as his anger became even more visible. “Fine! Just lay there! I don’t care! But so help me if you die then all of Hyrule will fall!” I cried as I ran out of the room and slammed the door shut behind me.