The Legend: Chapter 66- Fate

Zelda’s P.O.V

“Time has numbered your hero’s days. Fate is an awful trick and can be changed with a simple choice. You received the vision of my warning. Link’s life is destined to end on the battlefield.” A graceful voice echoed in my head. Something told me I was asleep and this voice was contacting me through my dreams. “My dear there is a way to prevent that, but……but it isn’t thought well of.” The voice responded. I saw myself look around the vast darkness in the corners of my mind until a bright and holy light warmed me. It was an overwhelming light that kept me blind at the sight of whatever figure, or person that was in front of me. According to the soothing voice I had a feeling that it was one of the three goddesses. But why couldn’t I see her clearly like I could see the Godess of Wisdom? Was it because she was my patron Goddess that I could see her? Perhaps this was another goddess, perhaps it was someone else. “What is the way you recommend?” I asked her. “I have no opinion in the matter. But I’m offering you a choice that could save your hero.” She stated seriously. “How can I save him?” I demanded. “You must take his place in death.” She said flatly. I sighed sadly. Part of me knew that that would be the only way, but would it be the right way? “How can I ensure that he will live, and I will die?” I asked. “Do you recall the warnings of healing magic?” She asked me. I nodded my head yes in response. “The reason you feel weak is that the magic you conjure is powered by your life force. When Link dies you must heal him one last time. When you heal him your Triforce will live in him. He will then have both the Triforce of Courage and Wisdom. He will be powerful enough to defeat Ganondorf and free the world of his dark power.” She explained. “Is this guaranteed if I do this?” I questioned. “Yes, but heed caution to this tale, your hero might not enjoy this idea. I suggest you keep it a secret and only do this if you truly think it is the way.” The light stated before it disappeared. I woke up instantly after in a warm bed. I didn’t recall going to bed the night before, but then all my memories came flooding back. Impa had passed away the day before and I cried myself to sleep in Link’s arms. “How embarrassing!” I thought to myself as I rolled out of bed and looked myself over. “Link?!” I called out as I opened the bedroom door. “In the kitchen Zelda!” Link called from another room. I followed the sound of his voice and found the kitchen but as I opened the door I met with many other people. In the room was a variation of different people. I saw Durmani, Zurmani, and Darbus the Gorons along with their elders. I saw Prince Ralis and Queen Rutella, and a few Zora guards. Even Mayor Bo and Rusl was there along- side with Ronin, Laura, their Father Gordo, their mother and their Grandfather. It was all so surprising that I had forgotten to wave and greet them all. Laura ran up to me right away and hugged my leg which snapped me out of it right away. “You’re majesty I’ve missed you so!” She cried as she hugged. I bent down to pick her up and hug her but as I did everyone in the room bowed, even Link. “Please there is no need for formality here.” I stated firmly. Everyone lifted their heads and stared at me. “We are so very glad that you are alright you’re highness.” Mayor Bo stated. “Thanks to Link I am alright.” I beamed. Everyone turned and glanced at Link and then back at I. Ronin chuckled in the back ground as he looked between Link and I. Suddenly Link stepped forward. “Tell Zelda what you told me.” Link ordered the group. Gordo stepped forward first. “After your disappearance, we all took extensive care for the future. Lady Impa was describing our battle plans when the Gerudos attacked. Fortunately Lady Impa showed us a place to hide.” He explained. “A hiding place where?” I questioned. “Lady Impa showed us an underground tunnel that the Sheikah used in the past as an escape route. “ Rusl answered. I sighed sadly and looked up towards Link. “Lady Impa sacrificed herself for us, in a way that we all could never repay. We are so sorry.” Queen Rutella stated. After that it was silent and all I did was blank during the silence. “There is a way you can repay her.” I piped suddenly. Everyone turned to me and listened. “She fought for all of you to the death; all I ask of you is to fight with me now. Fight for a reason. Impa died so we could all live on and prevent this oncoming darkness. But the question is, will you all fight with me?” I questioned. Again the deafening silence was present and I felt myself panic. But suddenly in the midst of it all Link stepped forward and took my hand. “I will fight for you, and only you you’re highness.” Link swore as he bowed and squeezed my hand. Immediately afterwards everyone else in the room volunteered their men, and soon an army was built. Afterwards the respected leaders parted to prepare their warriors. “Impa left battle plans on some scrolls I found in her house. I think we should use them.” Link suggested. “Let me see them.” I demanded. Link instantly dug them up from his pouch and handed them to me. I looked them over and saw that this was the near exact battle plan used by my ancestor to defeat her enemy. “These aren’t Impa’s battle plans.” I chuckled. Sometimes stuff like this was funny to me. It was almost like history was repeating itself. Link glanced at me strangely. “These battle plans were used a generation ago. I think they deserve a few tweaks but other than that they will be the destruction of Ganondorf and his army.” I stated confidently. Link only smiled as he took the battle plan from my hands and pinned it on the kitchen table using small iron pegs he found. Link and I worked on the battle plan until sun down. It was nearly flawless but I felt a deep worry for Link. I had changed his placement at least five times in hopes that maybe that was why he was destined to die. Almost instantly Link sensed my distress and offered to take a break. “Here, you should relax a bit.” Link stated as he offered me a chair and a mug of soup he had made earlier. “Thank you.” I sighed in content as I sat back in the chair and enjoyed the soup he had given me. After a short silence Link asked a very blunt question. “Have you every loved someone before Zellie?” He questioned. “Yes.” I responded shortly. He then sighed and leaned back in his chair curiously. “So you know what love it then?” He asked. “I do indeed know what love is. What’s this about Link?” I chuckled. “I think it’s funny is all.” He laughed. “What is?” I asked. I felt my heartbeat quicken as Link left his chair and made his way to me. “That you say you know what love is.” He chuckled as he lightly pecked my forehead. I was completely frozen with shock. “Was this an implication that he loved me? Or was I just overthinking this entire situation?” I asked myself as I watched Link leave the room and head to his designated bedroom. Suddenly it all made sense to me. I did indeed love Link.  He was always there for me when no one else was. He saved my life so many times I had nearly lost count, but the question was why did he? Did he love me? Or was he merely doing this because I was his queen? Too many thoughts rushed past me it was impossible to think straight. But now I had an even more life changing problem at hand. “Link is destined to die on the battle field at the hands of Ganondorf, and there’s nothing I can do to change it unless I heal him. “ It’s my choice to die for him in exchange for his life. But who would lead the kingdom once I died?” I asked myself. Then an idea suddenly came to me. “Link will be king.” I decided. There was no one else that deserved the position more. But would he take the throne or deny it? For a man such as him to take upon such a responsibility is unnerving.