The Legend: Chapter 67 - Revelation

Link’s P.O.V

Sometimes I found myself in awe at the princess. Yes Zelda was wise, after all she bore the Triforce of Wisdom, but sometimes she was so blind. I mean of course this subject too was hidden from me until I came to a realization. I loved Zelda. After all of the time spent with her I came to realize she was beautiful, kind, and…..out of reach. She was a Princess, and what was I to her? Certainly not her knight in shining armor. I’m just a farm boy, a ranch hand from Ordon. It could never be. I was so stupid before. Yes, I flirted when I first met her, but that was before all of this had happened. She had risked her neck for me and me for her. We both saw sides of each other no one else has ever seen.  She amazed me in every way. Her passion and care for her people was heartwarming, as for her guidance, she had the power to rule Hyrule, but not in the way Ganondorf is currently doing. Zelda would rule fairly, and reign with truth. She would use her love to gain the trust of the people. They would follow her, like I am now. They would die for her, like I would. But the question now was what would be my next move? Should I pursue her? Or not? I had always heard those stories from Rusl of how he wowed his wife into marrying him. But was that something Zelda would want? Would she marry someone like me? In truth I didn’t believe I deserved her. She was this golden sun in the sky. She was out of reach just like the actual sun. Yet even at a great distance she warmed my heart and soul. This was a feeling like no other. At first I thought it was just puppy love. Yes Zelda was beautiful, yes she was funny, yes she was amazing, but was it true love? After risking everything just for her I answered my questions. I loved Zelda. “Link?” A voice called. I quickly snapped out of my thoughts and opened my eyes to see Zelda leaning over my bed. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. “Sorry to wake you.” She apologized. “No worries.” I yawned as I sat up in my bed. “I just wanted to ask you if you could come with me to Impa’s grave?” She asked politely. “For you Zelda? Anything.” I chuckled as I hopped out of bed and slipped on my cloak and books. Luckily I hadn’t bothered with getting undressed last night for bed so she didn’t have to wait long. After a quick breakfast Zelda and I walked silently towards the village’s graveyard. Zelda had brought a bouquet of fresh flowers from the mountain side to place at the grave. We reached the gate to the graveyard only in a matter of minutes. I watched silently as Zelda gently placed the flowers before Impa’s tombstone beside her ancestors. “Rest in peace Impa, you deserve it.” Zelda chuckled sadly as she stood up and began to walk away. I kissed my hand and pressed it to the tombstone. “Thank you.” I whispered as I left with Zelda. It was a quick visit, any longer and the atmosphere would have become too depressing. “When should we leave to join the others?” Zelda asked me as we walked back to the house. “Tonight.” I sighed. Zelda had become mostly quiet since Impa’s death. “Zelda?” I called. She stopped walking and looked at me curiously. “Are you okay?” I asked. She nodded her head yes to answer my question but something told me she was lying. “Zelda if there’s anything wrong, you know you can tell me, right?” I stated truly. “Yes, and I appreciate that so much Link.” Zelda sighed. Her statement seemed awfully formal for it just being the two of us. I was becoming rather concerned now. Something was up and Zelda didn’t seem like she was about to tell me what it was. Unfortunately a tiny voice in my head prevented me from asking her. I felt guilty for making such an accusation after such a tragic event. Zelda had lost someone very close to her, perhaps that was what was bothering her, or was it something else? I practically beat myself up trying to figure out what to say to her. Now that my feelings were known to myself I found myself being extra careful around her. I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of her, or make her upset. All I wanted was to keep her safe and happy. But with a war on the horizon that goal deemed nearly impossible. I was so frustrated with the placement in life I was currently placed in. After visiting Impa’s grave we entered the house once more and began to pack our things. I had finished packing early and decided to check on Zelda in her room. I entered and found her folding clothes and other things into a small leather bag. She was concentrated and focused as she packed, but in the midst of her concentration though she managed to hum a soft and gentle tune. Zelda was more musical than most. Her voice was gentle, just like a mother’s voice. So as I listened I felt contempt in a way. Zelda suddenly stopped and turned to look at me. “Can I help you?” She giggled. I soon realized that I had been awkwardly standing in the door way watching and staring at sweet Zelda packing. “Nope! I just wanted to uh- I was thinking maybe we should-Perhaps we could have lunch?” I babbled. Zelda smiled at the offer and nodded her head yes. I mentally slapped myself for being so unprepared. Zelda joined me for lunch and we spent most of the time talking about the battle plan. She seemed so frazzled and nervous. I felt almost nervous as well. I could practically grasp the tense air around her. I prevented myself from asking about it though. “Thank you for the meal Link, I think I’ll go finish packing then.” She excused herself. I watched her leave the kitchen and then enter her room.