The Legend: Chapter 30 - Skull Kid

Zelda's P.O.V

“Zelda you must travel to the Forest temple now. Wake up reborn Goddess.” A voice stated. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. It was early morning; the sun looked like it had just risen. I looked over to my left to see Link sound asleep. “He looks so peaceful, almost like a child.” I whispered to myself. I stood up and scanned my surroundings. Suddenly distant music could be heard. It was upbeat and lively, it sounded like it was close by. I followed the sound until I reached an open area with a tree stump in the middle. The music had stopped and the silence of the forest returned. “Strange.” I stated as I twirled around hoping I would find some sort of sign to lead me to the Forest Temple. “Zelda?!” Link shouted. I stopped turning and saw Link about ten feet away from me. Suddenly a small creature appeared on the tree stump. “He he!” He giggled as he waved. “Hello.” I said with a smile as I waved back. “Zelda what are you doing?!” Link called. The small creature seemed like a child, he wore a small sun hat and a wooden mask covered his face. When he saw Link walking towards us he stopped laughing and pointed to the right. “Is it that way?” I asked. “He he!” He giggled as he jumped off the stump and ran away in that direction. “Wait!” I yelled as I followed him. “Zelda wait up!” I heard Link shouted. I slowed down a bit hoping that was a good enough speed that Link could keep up with, yet fast enough to keep up with the small creature. I could hear the music loud and clear now; it gave me and eerie feeling causing a shiver to go down my spine. Suddenly the forest began to thin, and a small tunnel appeared. I stopped in front of it and looked down it. It was pitch black inside and I couldn’t see where it ended. “Geez Zelda you’re pretty quick.” Link exclaimed as he pushed past some branches and approached me. He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. “What were you thinking running off like that?” He asked sternly. The little creature suddenly dropped from a tree above us and blew his trumpet. “There you are you’re pretty quick too.” I said as I knelt down to him. “What’s your name?” I asked him. “He he!” I giggled. “He doesn’t talk.” Link affirmed. “He’s Skull Kid.” Link stated as he pointed at him. “He’s a trouble maker.” Link said with a smirk. Even though Skull Kid was wearing a mask I could tell he was glaring at Link. “Ignore him; he’s probably just as troublesome.” I stated. “Hey!” Link shouted as he crossed his arms. “He he!” Skull Kid laughed. “Now do you know where the temple is?” I asked Skull Kid. He nodded his head yes and blew his trumpet again. I laughed at his answer. “He he!” He laughed as he ran down the tunnel lighting the way with his lantern. “Come on Link!” I yelled as I grabbed his hand and pulled him along. “Wait Zelda where are we going?” Link asked as we reached the end of the tunnel.  A large stone temple with overgrown fauna stood before us. “We need to go in here.” I answered as I pointed at the building. “Why?” Link asked. “Don’t ask questions ok? Just do as I say.” I begged. Link rolled his eyes at me and walked up to the large door. “Alright then.” Link commented. “Thank the Goddesses I thought I was going to have to fight him on this.” I thought to myself. Link pulled the door open revealing a staircase leading downward. “It’s pretty dark down there.” I stated. “What’s wrong Zellie, are you scared?” Link teased. “Shut up Link.” I shot back. “He he!” Skull Kid giggled behind me. I turned to see him offering us a lantern. “Is this for me?” I asked as I bent down to his level. “He he!” Skull Kid laughed as he handed it to me. “Thank you very much.” I thanked as I kissed him on the cheek. He blew his trumpet in triumph as he did a back flip. Link rolled his eyes and scoffed at him as he watched him celebrate. “You shouldn’t give him so much credit; he probably stole that from someone.” Link mocked. Skull Kid stopped celebrating and jumped on top of Link’s head and started to hit him with his trumpet. “Hey! Ow get off!” Link tried. I began to laugh as I saw Link struggle with the small forest creature. With one last hit Skull Kid jumped off of him a scurried away into the forest. “Dumb little creep.” Link mumbled as he rubbed the spot on his head where Skull Kid had hit him repeatedly.  “You ok?” I asked as I tried not to laugh. “More or less.” Link groaned. “Here let me see.” I said as I reached out to him. “No don’t, I’m fine.” Link said as she shrugged away from my touch. I was shocked by his reaction and gave off a hurt expression. Link must have noticed because he tried to recover. “Sorry it’s just I thought you were going to try to heal me again, and I didn’t want you to collapse on me again.” He tried. “Oh right.” I agreed. “Shall we head inside then?” Link asked as he held the door open for me. “Why thank you.” I thanked as I walked inside and lit the lantern.