Chapter Twelve

Emma
As we drew closer to the station, my heart rate picked up, my stomach churned like an upset washing machine. I began to tap out some kind of rhythm on the table top with my fingertips, like I always do when I am nervous.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are now approaching Sheffield Station." A calm, collected voice breathed. This could be the end of me. I pulled up my hood, and when I got out of the train, I ducked my head down and went to mingle with the crowd. Being short was an advantage when it came to blending in with the crowd. I silently prayed to every God that I would be safe. I saw a sign indicating the ladies toilets. I could hide in there, and call Katie. If they were still there, hopefully they wouldn't be for long, if she'd called for help.

The toilets were surprisingly empty when I entered them. I pulled myself into a cubicle and waited, locking the door. I got out my phone and called Katie again.

"He-" she began, but I cut her off.

"Have you called for help yet?"

"Yeah, I called the police, and told my parents, but the police said they can't do anything as there's no proof they'll actually do anything and they don't know who to arrest because I have no description of them. Mum and Dad won't do anything unless you're actually in trouble. I'm so sorry."

"Katie, I'm literally hiding in a toilet cubicle right now."

"I'm really sorry, there's nothing I can do." She sniffed. I bit my lip, pulling the skin between my teeth. "Em? Luke wants to speak to you." My heart leapt. He wanted to speak to me.

"Luke?" My voice cracked.

"Em, listen. I don't trust you, but you are what you are, and I can't change that,  but I can't help the way I feel about you, and I'd hate myself if something happened to you because you did something to try and help me. You have to stay where you are, be brave. You're safe there; for the time being anyway. I'm coming for you."

"No Luke you can't! Your cuts,  the doctors-"

"That's not as bad as what will happen if they get to you. No arguments."

"Luke-"

"You fight them. You let hell loose on them and you don't stop. I'll see you." He hung up. After a while, I began to taste blood in my mouth but kept chewing. It was kind of comforting, in a weird way, but it wasn't strong enough to overpower the constant worries and the hated Voice of Doom that didn't know when to shut up.

Despite the fact that I couldn't die, I was still scared as fuck. They'd find out I couldn't die. I could still get injured. I could still feel pain. "Mum..." I sniffed. This was the first time in 2 years that I needed her. I'd always been inpendent, even as a small child, but as I sat in the damp cubicle, I needed her arms around me, I needed her to whisper 'it'll be ok' in my ear. I needed her.

After a while, I heard the door to the toilets open. Luke? I held my breath in anticipation for the worst. Of course, it could be anyone; these were public toilets of course, but I just had to pray my salvation had come. But as soon as I heard gruff, menacing voices, my heart plummeted. They'd come for me. And they'd find me.

"Emmmaaaaa. Come out Emma! You'll just make it worse for yourself if you hide." Derek.

"Come out, bitch. We know you're in here. And no one is going to find you." I willed myself to stay quiet. Suddenly, there was a bang from the other side of the toilets. They'd started kicking the doors open. There was no way I could escape. I just had to come out, take Luke's advice, fight them with every ounce of strength I have.

With a big gulp of air, I slid the lock to the side and opened the door. Nathan and Harry beamed at me.

"Emma! How nice of you to join us!" Derek called, stepping over to me. He grabbed my arm, applying all his pressure on it. "You'll pay what you did, bitch. We're suspended- for now."