Chapter Twenty

Emma
As I got on the train, my stomach started churning with nerves. Firstly, because I was going to see my parents again, I was going to talk to them after 2 years. Secondly; being on the train brought back memories of Derek and the toilets. I know that they're in prison, they can't do anything to me, but the memories still made me feel uneasy.

The journey went quick,  almost a blur. For most of the journey, I was texting Luke and listening to the new Panic! At the disco album: Death of a bachelor. I'd missed the release from being locked up for two months, but I was enjoying it now and that was all that mattered.
I walked to my Dad's house first. He was still awake, I could tell by the lights in the windows. I took a deep breath and then took off my dress and replaced it with jeans and a t shirt with wing holes in. I still had the house key from years ago. It was like unlocking my past again, as I twisted the lock in the key.

My Dad was stood there holding a TV remote, ready to take out the intruder. "Who- who are you?" He stammered, lowering the remote.

"Hi Dad." I smiled. He looked like a mess. Like he hadn't slept in two years. What had I done to him?

"Emma?"

"Yeah."

"Oh my baby girl! You've grown up so much! But- you're dead. You're an angel?" He glanced at my wings.

"Yeah," I closed the door behind me, "I just came to tell you that none of this is your fault. It's my fault I took my own life, it was my decision. You can't keep blaming yourself."

"Em, I don't know what to say." He sighed.

"Don't say anything. I just wanted to tell you that. You need to move on. Get a girlfriend. Have some more kids. Anything. I love you Dad, and I can't live with myself if what I did causes you so much pain."

"Oh Em. Look at how much you've changed. You're so grown up. How can you be grown up if you're dead?"

"It's too long to go into everything about angels. I'm sorry I did this to you. But you've got to move on."

"So, is this just a visit?"

"Yeah. I've got other places to be. I'm on the run. From the angel authorities. I broke some rules, you know me. I love you so much Dad. But I've got to go." I wrapped my arms around him, breathing in his scent.

"You're so warm," his voice cracked, grabbing my hand and holding it. "I love you too, Em. Come back soon?"

"Yeah maybe." I sighed, planting a kiss on his cheek, "Oh god I've made us both crying wrecks now. Promise you won't tell anyone you've seen me?" I was crying by this point, and so was Dad.

"I promise. Good bye, Em. Love you." He whispered, as I took a few steps towards the door. I shrugged on my hoodie, concealing my wings once again and left, running to Mum's house. Now this one would be harder. She would be asleep, in bed with my step dad. I'd have to climb in through a window or something.

I took off my hoodie and flew up to a window I saw that was open slightly. I pulled it open so I could climb in, to see I was in my baby sister's room. She was awake, staring at me intently. She waved her little starfish hands at me and I put my fingers to my lips, telling her to not make a sound as I crept across her room. Luckily, she stayed as silent as if she was asleep.

I took a deep breath as I paused outside the only other closed door that I assumed was my mum's. "Here goes nothing," I muttered, pushing the door open.

Almost instantly, a light clicked on and two figures sat up in bed. "Get out of my house!" The man shouted, standing up.

"Kev, don't. I think it's Emma."