Chapter Thirty Two

Emma
Tears rolled down my cheeks. Luke had walked into the room. My heart pounded. How could he fall for this?

"Luke- please you have to go." I begged.

"No, I'm here to get you out!" He argued. I turned to face our friends. They looked scared shitless.

"You don't understand! They know you're here! They have everyone! You have no idea what they're going to do if you don't get out!"

"How do you know all of this?" He continued to walk further in, becoming more and more trapped. I saw Alex step into the room behind him. I saw Luke's face flood white when he realised I wasn't there and it was a trap.

"PLEASE, LUKE, JUST TURN AND RUN NOW! I'M BEGGING YOU, PLEASE!" I was desperate. Luke turned around to see Alex holding a gun in his face. I cried harder.

"Hello Luke. I'm going to have the great pleasure of killing you myself!" Alex turned the safety off with a click.

"No. No no no no no no no. Please, no Alex." I muttered. I felt a hand on top of mine. I turned to see Carrie give me a worried and sympathetic smile. I couldn't take it. Did I want to watch my boyfriend die without trying to do something? No. Alex was lowering the gun. The guards hadn't tied us down or anything. I took my chance, got up and ran, out the door, past the guards and down the corridor.

"Hey! Get back here!" They shouted. I simply raised my middle finger at them. Every step caused every part of my body to scream and beg for me to stop, but I carried on. I hadn't heard any gunshots yet. I reached my door, pushed it open (it had been left open) and ran in. Alex turned, like he had been waiting for me, and smirked. Luke was stood, frozen; paralysed.

"You fucking idiot! Move!" I shouted, running to grab his hand. The sound of a gunshot stopped me in my tracks. I looked at Luke. He clutched his gut, blood spilling out of it. The most painful way to die.

Everything seemed to slow down. I screamed as Luke fell, crumpling onto the ground. Alex stood triumphant. I ran to Luke, as everything began to speed up again.
"Emma."

"Luke." I gave him a kiss.

"Am I dying? Tell me. Use your angel powers." I shook my head, not wanting to tell him. I knew, of course I knew.

"You're a fucking idiot."

"TELL ME, GOD DAMN IT!" He yelled.

"You're going to be fine. We're going to live a long and happy life together, you're going to go to uni, you're going to be a famous director. We're going to be fine."

"Really?" I nodded.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"It hurts so much, Em."

"Shhh, I know baby. You should've moved."

"I know. I couldn't. I just wanted to rescue you. It's never going to happen, is it? You're going to be in pain forever."

"Yeah."

"I'm dying aren't I?"

I froze, my hand covering his gunshot wound, "Yeah. How did you know?"

"You're a terrible liar, despite all those secrets you keep."

"I'm so sorry Luke. You shouldn't have come. It's my fault you're dying. I'm so fucking sorry." Tears poured down both of our cheeks.

"No, I wanted to come. I made the others come. Please, make sure the others are okay. That's all I care about. And don't lose hope. Keep fighting against them. Don't let them get to you."