Chapter 4: The Vanishing Glass

After 20 minutes of driving, they finally arrived at the Zoo.

The Dursleys bought Dudley large chocolate ice creams at the entrance and then because the smiling lady in the van had asked Harry and Zoe what they wanted before they could hurry them away, they bought them a cheap lemon ice pop. It wasn't bad either, Harry thought, but Zoe scoffed and gave her lemon ice pop to a child that was staring at her.

"I would like two large cookies and cream ice creams please"
Zoe said and gave the lady the money and in return, the lady gave her two large cookies and cream ice creams. She gave one to Harry, who was looking at his lemon ice pop.

"I'll take that,"
And she got Harry's lemon pop
"and you, take this"
She gave Harry the other ice cream and she gave the lemon pop to another kid that was gawking at her.

"Harry! Where the- where did you get that ice cream young man?!" said Uncle Vernon, trying to control his anger because he didn't see the boy with them at the entrance.

"I bought them, sir. I'm sorry if we took long" said Zoe, and Uncle Vernon's face softened, not that it wasn't soft already. He smiled at Zoe and patted her head and went back to an impatient Dudley. Uncle Vernon didn't know that Zoe used that veela charm--that she knew nothing about yet--so that he would calm down.

Harry and Zoe walked to the entrance and made sure that Dudley saw their delicious Cookies and Cream ice cream.

***
After lunch, they went to the reptile house. It was cool and dark in there, with lit windows all along the walls. Behind the glass, all sorts of lizards and snakes were crawling and slithering over bits of wood and stone. Dudley quickly found the largest snake in place. He ran to where the snake was and pressed his ugly face on the glass. When Harry and Zoe were going where Dudley was, Zoe stopped and stared at nothing. It was happening again, she would see a glimpse of what might happen in the future. 

Her ability gave her the knowledge of what could happen in the near future. She wasn't sure how she obtained such an ability, but when she has these little visions, Zoe makes sure to remember every single detail to help her be prepared.

Harry looked at Zoe and saw that the white dots on her deep blue eyes were moving and Harry knew what it meant. Zoe told Harry about it when they were both 9, and it still fascinates him when Zoe sees the future.

"What do you see?" Harry asked, eyes full of curiosity as he stared at his friend.

"I-I see a snake... crawling on the floor. Everyone was screaming and running, but...it... the snake... it talked to...you"

Harry looked confused as to why he would be talking to a snake, but his thoughts were gone when he heard Dudley say "Do it again!" and saw that his cousin was yelling at his father to tap the glass where a sleeping serpent wished to not be disturbed. Uncle Vernon tapped the glass smartly with his knuckles, but the snake just snoozed on.

"This is boring" Dudley groaned and walked away from the sleeping snake. 

Harry and Zoe went to where Dudley was and Harry, felt pity, because the Snake could still die there with boredness.

The snake suddenly opened its beady eyes. And looked at Harry. 

It winked.

Harry stared. Then he looked quickly around to see if anyone was watching. They weren't. He looked back at the snake and winked too.

"Pfft.. Harry, what are you doing?" asked Zoe, trying to control her giggles.
"The snake, didn't you see? It winked!"
"It did...what?"
"it winked!"

Zoe looked at the snake, which was looking at her and Harry. The snake jerked its head to Dudley and Uncle Vernon and raised its eyes to the ceiling. Then Harry suddenly spoke.
"I know, it must be really annoying"
The snake nodded vigorously and Zoe can't help but watch in amazement, eyes wide and mouth hung open.

"Where do you come from anyway?"
The snake jabbed its tail at a little sign next to the glass. Harry peered at it:
Boa Constrictor, Brazil

"Was it nice there?"
The snake jabbed its tail at the sign again:
This specimen was bred in the zoo

"Oh.. I see, so you've never been to Brazil?"

As the snake shook its head, a deafening shout behind Harry and Zoe made them both jump.

"Dad!! Mom!! Look at this snake!! You won't believe what it's doing!!"
Dudley came waddling toward them as fast as he could and knocked Harry and Zoe off their feet, making them hit the hard ground. Because of the sudden fall, Zoe groaned in pain.

"Zoe! Are you okay?" asked Harry, with a worried face.
"Y-yeah... Im-I'm fine... I guess"

Harry sighed and looked at Dudley, who was leaning right up close to the glass. He gave Dudley a death glare because of what he did.

 But the next thing shocked them.

The glass vanished into thin air and Dudley went in face first in the snake's layer. Harry and Zoe watched in horror as the great snake was uncoiling itself rapidly, slithering out on the floor. People throughout the reptile house screamed and started running, searching for the exits. As the snake slithered to Harry and Zoe, it stopped right in front of him and said

"Thanksss"
"You're..you're welcome." said Harry. Then the snake slid past them, slithering happily.

After he recovered from the shock, Dudley stood up, and was about to leave the snakes layer when the glass that was once gone, returned! He was scared, crying for mommy because of it. Aunt Petunia shrieked, and screamed Dudley's name, even Uncle Vernon didn't know what to do.
Zoe gasped, making Harry look at her.

"What's wrong? Does it hurt?"
"No... Don't you realize Harry?! That thing that just happened earlier... I saw it didn't I? It happened!"

Harry's eyes were wide, and a grin was plastered on his face.

"That was bloody brilliant!!"