twenty six

nova's pov

of course i was the furious and jealous girlfriend after seeing my boyfriend walk into my apartment with a girl he fucked. animosity has got the best of me and that's why it's been three days and not once have jack and i conversed.

sure, we've made eye contact, but barely for a split second before i decide to look away first. he always lets out aggravated sighs and that's how i know he's annoyed with my behavior.

i stir around my yogurt and granola. jack's back is turned to me as he puts two pieces of bread into the cheap toaster. i speak up first, address the ugly discomfort that sits in the air.

"this ignoring is childish." i say.

"i agree." he bluntly replies, making me roll my eyes.

now why am i annoyed.

"if you don't want to be with me anymore, just say it."

his eyebrows pull together and he puts both hands down on the table, "where the hell did you get that from?"

i shrug, "from the fact that you're not talking to me."

"you're not talking to me either. that makes two of us."

i stop mixing my yogurt, "you never told me you were hanging out with amber."

"and everyone else." jack emphasizes, raising his voice a little. "now you want to talk about it?"

"yes."

"you were not awake and i didn't want to wake you up." he snaps.

he's obviously in a crabby mood and i let out a huff, staring down at the table. my phone buzzes next to me and both of our eyes divert to it. there's an email from the center that my dad is staying at and my heart rate starts to pick up.

"nova, what's wrong?" jack asks me, worry and concern laced into his voice.

when i look at him, he's examining my now drained and pale face. my shaky finger slides the screen to read the message.

nova,
your father has fallen unconscious and there is no reason why yet. doctors are still trying to figure out what is going on. you were the only person on his emergency contact list and it would be best if you came down here to see him. he's in a vulnerable state and needs family.

my eyes widen and i bounce up from my chair, sprinting into my room. okay, no need to panic. it could be temporary. as of now, i could speed to arizona in a car or take the next flight out.

"nova, baby, what's wrong?" jack's voice enters my ears as he rushes into my room.

his arms are immediately around me and i shake him off, trying to find my suitcase. i have to stay there until he wakes. i can't just go and see him and then come back.

"nova, i will not fight you." he sternly informs me. "what is wrong?"

"it's my dad." i say above a whisper, glancing at jack.

his eyebrows pull together, still obviously confused, "what about him?"

"i don't know! he fainted or something!" i nearly shout.

his eyes widen and he holds both of his hands up, "i'm sorry." he slowly says.

i shove everything i can into my suitcase before i can burst out into tears. i don't want to be a sobbing mess right now. that's the only thing i've been the past few days.

"you're leaving?" he questions.

"i have to see him." i say.

"what about school? what about me?" he asks, suddenly in panic also.

"family first. spring break is next week, i'll be fine." i assure him.

"are you coming back?"

"eventually." i answer.

he frowns, "i'm going with you."

i look at him bewildered, "are you insane? no."

"yes, i'm going." he repeats. "continue packing. i'll buy plane tickets."

i clench my jaw, "jack, stop."

"no, you stop." he says before leaving my room.

i rapidly shake my head, finishing packing. i manage to zip my stuffed suitcase and fill my backpack with everything that i need for the next week or so. fuck, i should have visited him earlier. what if he won't wake up.

wait, do i tell my mom? no. if i do, she'll drag mark along and the last thing i need is for my dad to wake up and the first thing he sees is his ex wife and her new husband. not like he'll remember her, but still.

i haul all of my things into the living room where jack is placed on the couch, typing on his laptop.

"i'm finalizing the tickets." he tells me.

"you know you don't have to do this."

"i want to. i need to be there for you."

i'm assuming it's processed through because he flies up off the couch and into his room to pack his own things. not being able to hold in my tears anymore, i let them out. so much has happened in such little time.

now jack's being all sweet because my dads in the hospital. he is quick and maybe it's because he practically shoved any piece of clothing he saw into his suitcase. he pauses when he sees me in the doorway.

"don't cry. please, don't cry." he coos, walking toward me. "everything's going to be okay, baby."

i nod my head, staring at the collar of my shirt.

"look at me." he demands and my eyes reluctantly flicker up. "i love you."

i bite my bottom lip, trying to suppress my tears, "i love you, too."

he hugs me briefly and tightly, cradling my head. not resisting anymore, i wrap my arms around his torso. he's doing this for me and i can't help but feel a bit special. school should be the most important thing to him, but it's not.

"i'm almost done and we have a plane to catch." jack says, holding my face in between his face.

he kisses me deeply on the lips and gives me a small, comforting smile that puts me at ease.

i nod, "thank you." i whisper.

he packs the rest of his things and then rolls the, out to where all of mine out. he looks around the apartment, unplugging everything. so much for the yogurt sitting in the bowl and the bread in the toaster.

this is so abrupt and sudden, we don't even have time to throw anything away. he grabs his keys and wallet. deciding to call an uber, jack does that quickly for us. he grabs my hand and using his other, he rolls his luggage with him.

this is it already? the love of my life tagging along with me to another state to be there for my hospitalized father.

{vote, comment, share}