thirty

*** this is indeed the last chapter, but there will be an epilogue! thank you to everyone who has made it until the end much love for youuuu

"nova, honey," my mom says, approaching me with mark by her side. "i know the last time we talked, we argued, but i just want to say that i am so sorry." she begins to cry and i stand there stick frozen as she engulfs me.

i don't even know why i invited her to my dad's funeral. the last time he was sane and i checked, he hated her with everything he had and my father doesn't hate many people.

there are somewhat a good amount of people here. none of my friends except adrian and cara. i had to plead her not to bring amber with and she respectfully granted my wish. my mom had asked people to come last minute.

"i'm so sorry for calling you names and treating you like shit." she apologizes.

"are you now apologizing because my father is dead and you feel sorry? i don't need you to feel sorry for me."

in all honesty, i'm sick of people feeling sorry for me and thinking i'm some fragile little girl. i've made it this far.

"i'm the worst mother ever." she admits.

no kidding.

"it's over now. he's gone and i can only depend on myself." i respond with a strong voice.

the guy i thought i loved and gave my all to, i can no longer depend on for support.

"don't say that. you have me and mark." she informs me.

"mark is just as much of an asshole as you are." i seethe.

"nova, i know i've made some mistakes, but can you please forgive me?" mark asks and my mouth opens in shock.

please tell me this is all a joke. yes, let's ask for forgiveness once her father dies.

i speak up, furious, "and then what else?! forget? forget the time that my dad was heartbroken because he saw you in bed with my mother? forget that you ruined my life by splitting my parents-"

suddenly, i feel large hands on my shoulders. my mother's eyes divert behind me in confusion and i turn to face the person.

"it's not the day to get mad, nova."

"sorry, adrian." i mutter. "you'd understand if you knew my mother like i did."

he nods his head, sighing, "how are you feeling?"

"young man, you cannot just take my daughter away from me when i am speaking with her." my mom scholars from behind me.

my eyes basically roll on their own and i mouth, "ignore her."

he shakes his head, "i can't be rude to your mom." he tells me.

"yes, you can." i raise an eyebrow. "i give you permission."

his lips crack a smile, making me smile a bit too. i haven't been crying like a maniac and that might confuse some people because this is my own father's funeral. i just know that i'm going to burst into tears after this.

maybe in a few seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or even years-

the door to the funeral home room opens, creating a loud sound. everyone's heads divert to it, including mine. my eyes widen as jack stumbles inside of the room, looking around at all of the observing eyes.

he stands up straight, fixing his all black suit. as if right now could get any worse, dumbass number two follows behind him. sam also looks around.

"what are they doing here?" adrian whispers to me and i'm too shocked to respond with an 'i don't know'.

"jack." my mother calls out in the silence and he looks toward her and then right at me.

my mouth dries and my heart starts to pound faster. all of a sudden, my feet don't feel cemented to the floor.

"i need to get out of here." i mumble, moving past everyone and to the exit.

which is past jack.

"nova." adrian calls out behind me.

jack grabs my arm, stopping me, but i thrash him off of me.

"don't touch me!" i scowl and he blinks, registering my tone with him.

i haven't seen him in a full week and out of all places, he has the audacity to show up at my own father's funeral? i can't even begun to figure out how he knew when or where it was.

"nova, slow down, please." adrian begs.

"you're not her boyfriend." jack spits with venom in his voice.

"last time i checked, neither were you." adrian retorts.

with a harsh grip of a hand, i'm abruptly turned around. i stare up at jack and before i can protest, he embraces me into a tight hug.

"jack, let go!" i snap, trying to push him off of me, but it's no use.

he's stronger than he and has my arms locked in the hug. my breathing starts to increase from anger and flashback sadness.

"you cheated on me, what do you want from me now?" i whimper.

"i want you." he emphasizes. "i know i'm an idiot for cheating on you and i'm sorry-"

"did you think that saying sorry would make me forgive you?" i shout in disbelief.

"get your hands off of her." adrian says.

"shut the fuck up and get away." jack replies.

"and you're still rude. why am i not surprised?" i question, still being hugged.

"i missed you so much, baby. i need you back at the apartment." jack pleads. "it's not the same without you and it'll never be."

kiss ass.

"you were fine when i was gone in arizona. you should be fine for the rest of your life." i tell him.

"what? no." he panics. "where are you staying? hotel? i'll pay for all of the expenses-"

i cut off his bribing, "i'm staying with adrian."

"what?" he growls, tensing up.

"i'm going to fucking kill you." jack tells adrian, letting go of me to walk toward him.

"she called me." adrian defends and jack turns his head to look at me.

i'm surprised he didn't give himself whiplash from how fast he turned his head.

"did you two have sex?" he grits out.

"no!" i gasp. "how can you even accuse me of that?"

"i don't know, maybe because of the fact that you're staying with a boy you took home as a one night stand!"

now, i feel as if the wind just got knocked out of me. i quickly regain myself to reply. and i do so, quite harshly.

"adrian didn't take advantage of me during my most vulnerable. he's not like that."

"but he willingly let you stay at his place?" jack narrows his eyes at me.

"as a friend!" i ball my fists. "i don't even know why you're getting so angry. news flash, we're not dating anymore!"

he clenches his jaw, "don't say that-"

"say what? the truth? i can't be with you. you cheated on me." i clarify.

"and i'll do everything i can to make it up for you. i'll do anything you want me to do. even if it means i have to do it for the rest of my life."

{vote, comment, share}

do u want her to forgive him or not