twenty nine

it doesn't take a true genius to analyze the image in front of me. jack slept with someone else, and i don't think it's a one night stand because she's cooking food in my kitchen.

"oh, hi." she greets me when she sees me and then calls out. "jack, someone's here!"

right now, i'm angry and feeling betrayed.

"who are you?" i sneer.

she flashes me a smile, "is that any of your concern? don't worry, i already know who you are. jack did inform me about a female roommate and i'm not jealous of you." she scoffs.

i ball my fist, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"is that even a question?" she laughs a high pitched one. "look at you."

does she really have the nerve to step foot into my apartment and speak to me this way? i'm about to storm into jack's room to tell him off, but he suddenly appears in the kitchen.

"is sam here? i told him to leave the day to us-" jack stops talking when his eyes lock on mine and panic flashes across his face. "nova..." he breathes.

"no, save it."

"what are you doing here already? is your dad alright?" he rushes, beginning to walk toward me as if everything were alright and as if there wasn't a half naked woman in our kitchen.

"no, and i don't bother informing you about anything that went on during the past week you could've been with me. you're the last person i want to see right now." i spit, storming out of the apartment.

operation return to the apartment later, pack my things, and get the hell out. i know that running from him isn't the best thing to do, but he cheated on me when i'm already hurting.

"nova." jack loudly says and i can hear him jog up to me. "nova, listen to me-"

"stop, jack! just stop!" i shout. "you're pathetic for sleeping with someone else while you're with me."

hurt takes over his face, "please-"

"shut up. we're done."

"no, we're not done. don't do this to me-"

"my dad just died and this is the last thing i need right now." i announce and his eyes widen, but i continue before he can talk. "don't worry, i'll be back in arizona in no time and you can have the apartment all to yourself." i emphasize.

"you're leaving me?" he whispers.

"are you insane?" i snap through gritted teeth. "do you really think i'd stay with you after you cheated on me?"

"not necessarily, but we can work this out-"

"plus, you walked out on before, so it's my turn. i never want to see you again."

"where are you going?" he asks as i start to walk again.

"to adrian's." is all i say, knowing it'll piss him off. "maybe sleep with him, yeah? it would only be fair."

"don't you dare." jack lowly says in a menacing tone. "don't you dare sleep with him."

"you're really funny thinking you can boss me around now. i'm not a whipped lovesick puppy anymore. meaning i'm not going to do as you say."

he clenches his jaw, looking as angry as ever, "if you sleep with him-"

"get back to your girl in there. i'm sure your food is getting cold." i remark.

now, where the hell am i actually going to go? sam knew about jack's cheating act. maybe i should go and confront him. ordering an uber, that's exactly what i'm going to do.

i need to give him a piece of my mind and fist.

"address?" the driver asks and i give him the directions.

instead of bottling all of my thoughts for myself, i should just push those aside and figure out a plan on how to get away with murder.

the drive is short and we i arrive at sam's apartment complex, i bust out of the car and run inside of the building without even thanking the driver. i bang my fist hard on his front door.

the door opens and sam lazily stands there, looking surprised. he opens his mouth to say something, but i cut him off dramatically.

"you knew!" i scream, hitting his chest. "you knew he was sleeping with someone and you didn't tell me."

"calm down." he gathers my wrist to stop me from continuing my assault.

that is when i fall into a heap of tears. i feel weak and powerless and i hate it.

"what were you all thinking?" i cry out. "go behind nova's back while she's in another state being there for her father."

"just listen-"

"he's dead sam. my dad is fucking dead and this is what i get when i come back for comfort? you know, maybe it was my fault for becoming friends with you immature boys who only think with their dick."

"come inside." he quietly says.

"no!" i thrash away from him. "i don't want your pity now that you know that my dad is dead!"

"it was my fault." sam confesses.

how could my dad dying be his fault? it wouldn't add up.

"what are you talking about?" i ask, sniffling.

"i pushed jack to sleep with someone when he didn't want to. he was upset and i thought that maybe if he slept with someone, he'd get over it." he sighs.

"that's not how relationships work, you asshole, but then again, i'm not surprised you didn't know that because i bet you've never been in a relationship."

it looks like i hit a nerve because he frowns, but then resolves himself, looking all apologetic rather than guilty.

"i'm so sorry, nova. i didn't know she'd stick around."

"you're sick." i shake my head. "both of you are sick."

i take out my cellphone, my vision blurry from my tears. the lock screen is filled with text messages from the one person i hate the most right now.

[jack] baby i'm so sorry

[jack] come back and let's talk

[jack] please i didn't mean to hurt you

ignoring his texts, i start to look for someone to call. i would call cara, but then she'd have amber with her and all she'd do is mock me. i'm already as pissed and emotional off as is.

"what are you doing?" sam asks me.

"i'm calling someone. i can't live with jack anymore and i can't be friends with you people."

now, i can't trust any of them. the audacity sam has to hook jack up with some bimbo while his girlfriend is gone. i wish murder wasn't illegal.

sam sighs, "don't say that. jack will have me by the neck-"

"you deserve it, you prick!" i yell, cutting off his sentence.

the phone rings a few times before it's actually picked up. i stifle my sobs and try to act normal, but fail miserably.

"nova?" a voice speaks through the line.

"adrian, i need you to come and get me."

{vote, comment, share}