twenty seven

"why are we in first class?" i murmur, sitting down on my spot on the airplane while jack hoists up out carry ons into the compartments.

"i wanted the best for the best." he cheekily remarks.

he's been trying way too hard to lighten up my mood and i've cracked a smile here and there. he takes his spot next to me and i get the window seat. a flight attendant gets to us right away, asking if we'd like anything and giving us the prices.

"can we just get two water bottles?" jack questions when he notices that i'm not talking.

"of course." she replies and then disappears.

hopefully this flight will be quick, so i can just go and see my dad as soon as possible.

"i've never been to arizona." jack informs me and i look up at him surprised.

"it's nothing special, i guess." i shrug, glancing out of the window once again.

that's just me because i grew up there. to others, it's probably different and on their bucket list to visit. the flight attendant returns with our waters and jack hands her his credit card.

"you're not going to let me pay you back, are you?" i ask.

he grins, holding my hand, "never."

"i can't believe you're skipping class to be with me."

"i can always make up the class, but i can't make this up again." he gives me an assuring smile.

i rest my head onto his shoulder and he kisses the top of my head. the pilot speaks over the intercom, giving us the specific flight time, what time it'll be when we arrive, the degrees in arizona and just the generic things.

the flight consisted of music playing in my ears through jack's earbuds. i didn't bother falling asleep because the flight was so short, but jack took advantage of it and left me to be awake alone.

*

"stop crying, please. you're making me sadder." jack begs, hugging me tightly as i sob hysterically.

"i don't get it. they tell me to come, i rush to get here, and not they won't even let me inside of his room."

"shh, i know, baby." he coos. "maybe they're monitoring him right now. we can check into a hotel first and then come back."

eyeing our luggage in the waiting room next to us, i'm a little hesitant on leaving the hospital. i don't want to leave right now. visiting hours might be over soon.

"please, nova. you have to eat too. we've been sitting here for four hours."

"i don't want to leave, jack! don't you understand? i don't want to leave him, he needs me." i say, my voice gradually getting quieter and quieter.

i didn't realize how snappy and attitudinal i'd get once i arrived and was informed that i couldn't see my dad yet.

he sighs, "i'm sorry, baby. we can stay here as long as you want."

the longer we wait, the emptier the waiting room gets with the exception of patients coming in an out for urgent medical attention. i bite my lip, staring at the floor and by the sounds of jack's breathing, i think he's fallen asleep.

"nova." a nurse calls out, entering the room.

i immediately sit up straighter, paying all of my attention toward her, "yes?" i ask, hoping that there are some good news.

"visiting hours are over, i'm sorry." she tells me, an apologetic look flickered over her face.

i frown, beginning to stand. suddenly, jack's hand darts out to grab my wrist and restrain me.

"are you kidding?" i raise my voice. "i've waited here for hours and i didn't even get to see my sick father!"

"i know. sorry, again. you can come back and visit tomorrow." she calmly states, making me become angrier.

"what if he's dead by tomorrow?" i grit out. "i want to see him!" i demand, knowing that it's not worth it because she won't let me.

"you can't, nova." jack whispers to me. "we'll come back tomorrow. first thing in the morning."

the nurse gives jack a smile and a small nod of the head. i ball my fists and thrash away from jack's hold. grabbing my suitcase, i storm out of the hospital. i didn't waste all of my time to just sit in a bright waiting room.

"slow down." jack calls out to me. "you don't even know where the hotel is."

i pause in my tracks, waiting for him to catch up with me. he takes out his phone and i assume it's for texting someone, but when i look over, he's ordering an uber. (uber everywhere)

our uber came quickly and jack gave him the directions to where our hotel is. i don't know where it is because i wasn't the one who booked it and everything. during the entire car ride, i was silent.

you could practically cut the tension in here with a knife. thankfully, the driver had some radio music playing so it wasn't completely quiet the entire time. he also asked us questions too. jack mainly answered them openly.

shortly, we arrive and check into our hotel room. i just want to sleep right now and be well rested for tomorrow. i've become exhausted during the plane ride, uber ride, and waiting all day.

i instantly jump onto the king sized bed, laying sprawled out. my muscles relax and i feel relief run through my body. i close my eyes while i rest against the provided white pillow.

"nova, do you want to go downstairs to get something to eat?" jack speaks up.

"no." i mutter with my face shoved into a pillow.

"why did i even ask? let's go get food." he says and i feel his hands on my waist, trying to pull me up.

"no." i repeat.

clearly he doesn't take that as an answer because he continues to nag at me. i quickly become irritated.

"we can go anywhere you want to for food. you just need to eat." he says and the bed sinks down a little and maybe because he sat down on it.

i don't know because my face is still in my pillow. a headache beginning to form, making me feels even more tired.

"nova." he says again. "come on."

"stop, jack. just stop! i don't want to eat or do anything. all i wanted was to see my father and i didn't."

"i understand that your dad is in the hospital," he lowers his voice. "but you need to calm down. i'm just trying to look after you and you won't let me."

"i don't need you to look after me! it was your entire choice to come along with." i unintentionally snap further.

"because i love you! i'm not just going to let you suffer. you need me." he suddenly raises his voice, making me wince because of how loud he's being.

he's never really yelled at me like this before and i see where he's coming from.

"you think that, but i'm perfectly capable of looking after myself." i continue on,

not entirely analyzing what i've said, a loud sound from the front door of the hotel room slamming is all i hear next.

{vote, comment, share}