Chapter 2

'The crazies, they make me feel sane'

Melanie Martinez – Mad Hatter

S2 E2 – Brave New World

It was three AM, and all was quiet in the Martin household as every one of them slept soundly. The disturbance of a phone beeping pulled Scarlet out of her dreamless sleep. She groaned and reached across her bed to where her phone laid on the bed side table. Noticing that it was Caroline who was calling, Scarlet reluctantly sat up and answered.

"Care, why are you calling at this time of night?" Scarlet asked as soon as she answered.

"It's unbearable Scarlet!" Caroline cried out in pain.

"What's unbearable?" Scarlet looked more alert as her best friend cried.

"The noise..." she exclaimed.

"Care, it's just the side effects of the drugs. Go to sleep. I'll see you in the morning." Scarlet mumbled, turning her phone off and slowly drifting back to sleep.

**

The next day, Scarlet followed Bonnie and Elena around as they prepared for the carnival in Caroline's absence. Scarlet kept yawning every so often and rubbing her eyes, not having gotten much sleep since the phone call last night.

"Katherine looked just like you, it was freakish." Bonnie said.

"She is my ancestor. Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria." Elena pointed out.

"Your vampire ancestor and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would. She was you." Bonnie said, furrowing her eyebrows while trying to remember the events that occurred.

"I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got." Elena sighed. Scarlet could tell that she clearly didn't want to talk about it, but Bonnie kept going on.

"How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?" Bonnie questioned.

"Scarlet, you're being quieter than usual." Elena ignored Bonnie's question by trying to move the subject onto the strawberry blonde.

"I'm tired." Scarlet let out another yawn. "Do you guys mind if I head home and get some sleep? I'll come back later when the carnival starts."

"Of course. Go get some rest, Scar." Bonnie nodded.

"Thanks, you guys." With that, Scarlet turned and got into her car, heading back home.

**

Scarlet had arrived at the carnival with both Ruby and Jasper. She felt slightly more refreshed, but still tired.

"Can I do the hook a duck?" Ruby begged and Scarlet nodded, giving her some money. Ruby ran toward the stand, giving the person operating it some money.

"I'm bored." Jasper complained, looking down at his iPod.

"You're not going home. We're doing this as a family." Scarlet told him, causing the boy to groan loudly. "Jasp, this was one of the last things that we did as a family before dad died. Stop complaining."

"Fine." Jasper sighed.

"Stay with your sister while I go to the toilet." He nodded his head, walking up to the six year old.