Chapter 23 - Just Shy Of Useless.

'Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising'

Jessie J – Who You Are

S2 E22 – As I Lay Dying

Dear Elena,

I just want you to know that I am skipping town to help protect you and everybody else. I'm going to go to Klaus because the Goddess ancestors are telling me that he has the cure. I may be dead at the end of the day, I may not be. I love all of you, grow old, have a family, and maybe one day I'll see you again in a different time.

~Scarlet Martin

I place it on her bed, leaving the Gilbert residence and heading to Alaric's apartment. Stefan is already there with Katherine. Before I can speak, she pins both me and Stefan to the wall. The door opens.

"Klaus." Katherine says. "You're back. Look who decided to come for a visit." She pulls us out from behind the wall and I see Elijah behind him.

"Arent you supposed to be dead?" Elijah asks.

"I'm a survivor." I snarl.

"You both just keep popping up, don't you?" Klaus smirks.

"We need your help." I tell him.

"For my brother." Stefan adds.

"Well whatever it is, it's going to have to wait isn't it? You see, I have an obligation to my brother that requires my immediate attention." Klaus smirks again.

"You understand how important family is or you wouldn't be here." Elijah steps forward.

"Just. Don't. I can't stand to look at somebody so traitorous." I snap, not looking at him. "You do realise he's planning to dagger you, right?" I question, "I can hear his thoughts from a mile away." As soon as I say that, Elijah falls to the floor, veiny and grey. He deserves it. Klaus then pins Stefan to the wall.

"What am I gonna do with you." He stabs a makeshift stake into Stefan, making Stefan groan in pain.

"Stop!" I snap, trying to push Klaus away but he throws me against the wall. Rude.

"WHY DOESN'T IT WORK?!" Klaus' voice echoes around my head.

"You see, that doesn't work for me, you alone, you aren't good enough."

"Then I'll do whatever you want as well." I say, snapping out of my vision.

"You're perfect, Scarlet, but Stefan, you're just shy of useless." Klaus pours a blood bag into a cup and drinks it. "I heard about this one vampire, crazy bloke, always on and off the wagons for decades, and when he was off, he was magnificent. 1917, he went into Monterrey and wiped out an entire migrant village. A true rippah."

"I haven't been that way in a very long time." Stefan tells him.

"Well that's the vampire I can make a deal with. That is the kind of talent that I can use when I leave this town. Katerina, come here." She hesitates, walking towards Klaus very slowly. His face mutilates and he bites Katherine's wrist.

"NO! NO!" Katherine gasps. She's dead. He then bites into his wrist and puts it in Katherine's mouth, forcing her to drink it. The bite heals instantly.

"You want your cure? There it is." He smirks.

"Your blood is the cure." I realise.

"Gotta love mother nature." Klaus smirks, "Now, lets talk, you and I." Klaus leads him to the counter where the three of us sit down. Klaus slits his wrist with a knife and puts his blood in a bottle.

"There it is." Klaus smirks. "You want to save Damon? How about a decade long bender? I have big plans for the both of you."

"I'm not like that anymore." Stefan sighs.

"Well that's too bad. You would've made a hell of a wingman." He pours it down the drain.

"Wait." Stefan mutters, and Klaus stops.

"Now that's more like it. I want you both to join me for a drink."

"I'm not a vampire." I tell him, "I don't have fangs."

"I'm not stupid Scarlet," he hands Stefan a blood bag, and me a bottle of bourbon. Fine by me. Stefan rips the top off, taking a sip of blood. I open the bourbon, gulping it down.

"Finish it." Klaus orders. My bottle is still full. If Klaus gets me drunk every day, I'll be perfectly happy. "All of it. You do everything I say and I save Damon, that's the deal." Stefan reluctantly brings the blood bag to his lips, drinking it. He finishes it in a matter of seconds. I've still got half a bottle left. Klaus hands him another one.

"Again."

*

Blood bags scatter the floor and blood is evident on Stefan's face. Meh, I don't really care, Klaus just gave me my sixth bottle of bourbon and I'm CUCKOO!

"Very cooperative." Klaus says. "It's almost as if you're enjoying it."

"No more, not until you give me the cure." Stefan says.

"Not until we make a deal." Klaus replies and I giggle. Giggle has so many g's in it. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. G sounds funny. "It's your choice Stefan. You can either remain here, living your life in Mystic Falls or you can embrace what you truly are. Leave town with me and Scarlet over there and save your brother's life." Stefan looks at the blood bag in Klaus' hand. He takes it, drinking it.

"That's the spirit. Sweetheart, take this over to Damon and come right back."

"You want me to leave?" Katherine asks. This sobers me up quickly.

"No!" I exclaim.

"Yes." Klaus smirks. She speeds out with the cure.

"She'll never take it to him!" Stefan says. Klaus just shrugs and smirks.