Chapter 47

'Just one mistake is all it will take'

Fall Out Boy – Centuries

S4 E18 – American Gothic

Basically, Rebekah, Elena and I fooled Damon and now we're searching for the cure so Rebekah can take it and it's out of our lives for good. I park the car into a street parking space with Rebekah in the passenger seat and Elena in the back.

"Why are we stopping?" Rebekah asks, looking annoyed.

"We've searched three cities in the last 24 hours, I'm sick of Top 40 radio, and I smell like leather." I say.

"And that's my fault? Elena's the one who stole the list of Garnet's possible whereabouts, did you ever think that Damon had bad information?" Rebekah argues.

"Have I mentioned I can't stand the sound of your voice?" Elena questions.

"Too bad. We're not done. Get in, next town." Rebekah demands.

"In a minute. I'm hungry." Elena and I walk over to a girl.

"We're not here for a pub crawl, Elena, Scarlet! I want the cure, Garnet has it. We don't stop until we find her!"

"I said in a minute." Elena snaps.

"Oh, my god, you startled me." The girl gasps.

"Did I?" Elena's face mutilates and she starts to go for the girl's neck.

"Katherine, what are you doing?" Rebekah raises her eyebrows while Elena stops and pulls back.

"You know me?"

"Of course I know you both. And I know most people around here prefer you to feed from the neck, but I asked you to drink from my wrist, remember?"

"The conniving little bitches compelled the whole town."

"I think we just found Garnet, and apparently Katherine."

"What's my full name?" I ask her.

"Garnet Martinez. I love the new 'do, by the way." She tells me.

"So how do you know Katherine and Garnet?"

"How do I know who?" the girl asks.

"Me. How do you know me?" I ask.

"Small town, everybody knows everybody." The girl shrugs.

"So everyone here knows Garnet?" Rebekah asks.

"I'm sorry, I don't know who you're talking about."

"She compelled people to forget all about her unless she's talking to them herself. Clever girl."

"How long have we known each other?" Elena asks.

"It's- been a while. I can't remember."

"Where do I live? Where do I work?" I ask.

"I don't know." She stutters.

"Who do I spend time with? Do I have any friends?" I interrogate the human.

"Well, you said we could all be friends with you, as long as we kept your secret."

"What secret?" Elena asks.

"I-I don't know." She stutters again.