Chapter 53

S4 E23 – Graduation

Everyone explained to me what happened while I was in a coma. I can't believe it, Jasper's back. I feel sorry for Elena, if only I could get Jeremy also. I listen into Caroline's conversation with Bonnie, who is on the phone.

Bonnie: I hit kind of a snag.

Caroline: A snag? A snag is a bad yearbook picture. You hit a tsunami. Where are you?

Bonnie: I'm trying to fix it, but I'm running into some trouble. I need to wait until the full moon tonight to have enough power to put the veil back up.

Caroline: Are you telling me that we might graduate right smack in the middle of a ghost-filled Expression Triangle?

Bonnie: Maybe we should just cancel.

Caroline: No, we are not going to cancel. Graduation is the most important event of our lives, the last ceremony of our youth. It is our rite of freaking passage! Hell will freeze over before I let anyone cancel graduation.

Bonnie: Can you not make jokes about hell freezing over? We're not that far off from that already.

Caroline: Just promise me that today is a friend day.

Bonnie: Okay, I promise. I love you.

Caroline: I love you, too.

Caroline hangs up and I sigh.

"Maybe we'll see some old friends." I shrug.

Klaus is out of bloody town in New Orleans for the day and Damon has werewolf venom in him!

The students, all in caps and gowns, are chatting around the football field getting ready for the ceremony. I'm trying to contact Klaus.

"Nik, now is not the time to decide that you want to turn your phone off! I'm gonna call you every ten minutes until you get your ass here to save Damon's life." I hang up and go over to the others.

"Where is everyone?" Caroline asks.

"I'm here." Matt appears.

"Where have you been?" I question, looking at him suspiciously.

"Oh, you know, making plans for the summer, dodging death by vampire hunter."

"Where's Elena? We can't do this without her." As soon as Caroline says that, Elena appears with Stefan.

"I'm here." She gives Bonnie a hug, "Thank you for today."

"I can't believe it. We're actually all here. We are all here together! Bonnie Bennett, are you crying?" I question.

"It's our last hurrah before you guys go off to college." Bonnie wipes the tears from her eyes.

"Before we go off to college." Caroline corrects.

"I...kinda sorta missed the deadline. You know, being an emotionless bitch." Elena sighs.

"Well, the perks of being a vampire – we can go wherever we wanna go. We can choose our own roommates. We could – we could get a quadruplet room!" I laugh at Caroline's statement.

"I'm happy we're all here." Bonnie smiles.

"Aw – group hug!" Caroline grins.

"Ah, I don't – I don't hug..." Stefan mutters.

"Oh, get over yourself!" Caroline laughs.

"Welcome parents, family, and friends. What a beautiful day for a graduation. Thank you for joining us today on this special day, as we celebrate our graduates. So let's get started. John Albrecht. David Bance. Sarah Beasley. Um, not to play favorites, but I am especially proud of this next graduate, my lovely daughter: Bonnie Bennett!" Bonnie's dad calls through the microphone. Bonnie walks onto the stage and hugs her dad. "Congratulations. I'm so proud of you, sweetie."

"Thanks, Dad." Bonnie smiles.

"You're welcome."

"For everything." Bonnie walks off stage.

"Savannah Davis. Matt Donovan. William Duncan. Caroline Forbes. Congratulations."

"Matt Freeman. Elena Gilbert. Scarlet Martin. Congratulations."

"Thank you." I grin.