Chapter 44

'Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound.'

Taylor Swift – Safe and Sound

S4 E15 – Stand By Me

Garnet pulls Jasper up from the ground and sinks her fangs into his neck, directly above his carotid artery, then forces him down again. Silas' arm swings up and holds Jasper in place. Garnet sees the box containing the cure, freed from Silas' grasp, and takes it, vamp-running out of the chamber. 

As soon as she saw that, Scarlet projected back into her own body to make sure her brother is safe.

"Jeremy! Oh, no. No. No. Oh, god, no. Oh god..." Elena checks Jeremy's hand; the Gilbert ring is still on his finger. "It's fine. It's fine. It's fine. You're gonna be okay. The ring will bring you back. It's okay. It's okay. You're gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay, Jeremy. You're gonna be fine."

"Elena." I gasp, falling to the ground next to Jasper, "Jasper isn't moving. Wake up Jasper! JASPER!"

"I'm sorry, we just got you back." Elena sighs, before my neck is snapped.

**

I wake up on Elena's bed, tears down my face. I go downstairs, tears still running down my face like a waterfall. How can I tell Ruby that our brother is dead? He's dead. He's gone! And it's my fault. If I was there, he'd still be here.

"How? How are you gonna help me? How? Okay. Okay. We-- we have to-- we have to take care of their bodies. Bring them downstairs." I decide sadly.

"We shouldn't—"

"Just carry him down, please." I cry.

"I guess we're gonna have to do this the old-fashioned way." Elena and I share a thought and we nod at each other.

"Do what?" Caroline asks.

"Put their bodies on the couch." I order.

"What are you doing?" Stefan asks as Elena hands me some bourbon and I throw it all over their bodies.

"We need a cover story, right? You think I didn't hear you guys talking earlier? Well, what are we gonna say-- animal attack, tumbled down the stairs? No. We burn the house down with them inside of it." Elena says.

"Elena, Scarlet stop it." Stefan raises his voice. But I don't care. The only thing I care about is the fact that Jasper is dead. The thought makes me want to scream.

"Why? You don't want my switch turning off when I just got it back on?" I snap. "Why? Because you want me to not be in denial? You want me to face the truth? This is the truth, Stefan." 

"I don't want to live here anymore. I don't want these sketches. I don't want this Xbox. Not gonna need this bourbon anymore. Alaric's not here to drink it, I mean, unless you guys are willing to bring back every supernatural creature on the Other Side to get him back. Would you? I know you want your drinking buddy back Would you, Damon? Because I wouldn't. I don't know, I mean, does that make us a bad person? I-- I have no idea." Elena pulls the Gilbert ring off of Jeremy's finger and tosses it to Damon, "He's not gonna need that anymore."

"Scarlet, Elena, stop it. You're scaring me!" Caroline shouts.

"What else are we supposed to do with the bodies, Caroline? I mean, there's no-- there's no room in the Gilbert family plot. Jenna and-- and John took the last spots."

"No, no, Elena, Scarlet. Stop." Stefan orders.

"There's nothing here for me anymore, Stefan!" Elena screams.

"How am I meant to tell Ruby how her brother won't be coming home to us anymore?! She's 8! She doesn't understand this stuff!" I cry.

"Every inch of this house is filled with memories of the people that I love that have died-- my mom, my dad, Jeremy, and Jenna and Alaric, John, even John. I mean, they're all dead. Everyone is dead. So what am I supposed to-- I mean, how am I gonna-- I can't even-- There's nothing left for me-- aah!" Elena throws the bottle against the wall, breaking down.

"Elena, I need you to calm down." Damon orders.

"No, no, no, I can't. I can't. I can't. I—No. It hurts. It hurts. Just make it stop. Please make it stop. It hurts" she sobs.

"Damon...Help her."

"I can help you. I want you to let me help you. I can help you."

"How?" I ask, "How can you help her? How can you help me?"

"Turn it off." Damon declares.

"What? No, no." Stefan protests. Damon holds up a hand to stop him from intervening.

"Just turn it off, and everything will go away. That's what you have to do. It's what I want you to do. Just turn it off."

If Elena can do it, why can't I? I may have just come back, but, I don't want to feel more grief. It's too painful to lose a brother. It's as if my heart has been ripped out, cut into pieces, glued together and forced back into my body.