Chapter 27 - Gasping for Air

'This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I'm alright song'

Rachel Platten – Fight Song

S2 E5 – The Reckoning

I wake up, gasping for air. Everything feels hotter, I feel angrier. I'm in transition. My head snaps to the side as I smell something delicious.

"Here." Rebekah smiles, handing me the wrist of a human girl. I feel my face change and I instantly bring my lips to the wrist sucking the blood. The feeling is euphoric. I drop the body once there's no blood left.

I look at Rebekah, speeding out of the van and into Mystic Falls High.

I stop in the gym, slamming the doors open and going over to Klaus. I must look like a maniac, blood dripping down my lips, my eyes glowing red.

"Scarlet?" Elena asks, gasping, "Why are your eyes silver?"

"She's a vampire darling." Klaus smirks.

"Bonnie get outta here!" Elena shouts. Klaus gets up, vampire speeding to the witch and the human.

"I was wondering when you'd show up." He smirks. "Now we can get started."

"Ah, Dana, why don't you relax? You and Chad sit tight." They both relax, Dana falling into Chad's arms. "I assume you're the reason Elena's still walking around alive?"

"That's right. If you want to blame someone, blame me." Bonnie acts brave, even though I can smell fear radiating from her witchy body.

"Oh, there's no need for blame, love. Just your witchy interference seems to have caused some undesirable side effects. And since you caused the problem, I'm going to have you find the fix." Rebekah walks in, pulling Tyler along with her.

"Get off of me!" Tyler struggles against her iron grip, but he can't get her off him.

"I'd like you all to meet my sister Rebekah. Word of warning...She can be quite mean." Klaus introduces his little sister.

"Don't be an ass." She throws Tyler into Klaus's arms.

"Leave him alone!" Elena exclaims.

"I'm going to make this very simple...Every time I attempt to turn a werewolf into a vampire hybrid, they die during the transition. It's quite horrible, actually." I scrunch my nose in disgust, remembering the terrifying sight. He then bites his wrist and forces his blood down Tyler's throat.

"I need you to find a way to save my hybrids, Bonnie. And for Tyler's sake...You better hurry." He twists Tyler's head and a sickening crack echoes around the gym.

"NO!" I exclaim.

"He killed him." Matt gasps.

"He's not dead. Klaus's blood will turn him into a vampire." Elena reassures Matt.

"And if Bonnie's successful, he'll live through his transition. Go on, then. Go and fetch your grimoires and enchantments and what-not. I'll hold on to Elena and Scarlet...for safe-keeping." I sigh, sitting on the bleachers.

"So this is the latest doppelgänger. The original one was much prettier." Rebekah examines Elena.

"They're all the same. They have the same looks, body shape, and everything." I roll my eyes.

"Enough, Rebekah. Take the wolf boy elsewhere, would you?" Rebekah drags Tyler behind her by his arm and leaves. Klaus looks at the both of us, smirking.

"Just ignore her. Petty little thing."

**

Elena is comforting Dana while I count the tiles on the ceiling. The gym doors slam shut and my ocean blue eyes look towards the source of the noise, Stefan.

"Stefan..." Elena mutters, looking at her lover.

"Klaus." Stefan totally ignores Elena. Rude.

"Come to save your damsel, mate?" Klaus questions, a smirk forming on his face. Oh how I wish I could punch it off his face.

"I came to ask for your forgiveness. And pledge my loyalty." Stefan answers.

"Well, you broke that pledge once already." Klaus acknowledges the last time he pledged his loyalty to Klaus.

"Elena means nothing to me anymore. And whatever you ask of me...I will do." Stefan says.

"Fair enough. Let's drink on it." He points to the human high school students. "Kill them. What are you waiting for? Kill them."

"No! Stefan, don't. He's not going to hurt me. He already said—"Klaus smacks her so hard that she falls on the floor. Stefan rushes over to Klaus, his fangs out. Klaus grabs him by the throat as I rush to Elena.

"She means nothing to you? Your lies just keep piling up." Klaus snarls.

"Let her go! I'll do whatever you want, you have my word!" Stefan begs.

"Your word doesn't mean much. I lived by your word all summer, during which time I never had to resort to this—"He starts to compel Stefan.

"Stop fighting."

"Don't do this, don't do this." Stefan pleas.

"I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I'm going to have to take it." Klaus hisses.

"Don't...Don't..." Stefan murmurs.

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it. You will not run, you will not hide, you will simply just obey."

"No. Stefan!" Elena cries out.

"Now kill them. Rippah." Klaus smirks. Stefan rushes over to Dana and kills her instantly. He moves over to Chad, taking more time on killing him.

"It's always nice to see a vampire in his true element. The species has become such a broody lot." Klaus smirks, sitting next to me in the bleachers stands.

"No. You did this to him." Elena cries.

"I invited him to the party, love. He's the one dancing on the table."

"How can he be dancing on the tables when there are no tables?" I look at Klaus.

Rebekah storms in before he can answer and she rushes towards Elena.

"Where is it?! Where's my necklace?" Rebekah screams.

"What are you talking about?" Klaus questions his little sister.

"She has my necklace. Look."

"Well, well. More lies." Klaus looks agitated.

"Where...is it?" Rebekah looks as if she's about to kill Elena.

"I don't have it anymore." Elena answers truthfully.

"You're lying!" Rebekah's vampire face appears and she bites Elena's neck but Klaus stops her. I look at the blood on Elena's neck, the scent reaching my nose. I turn away so nobody can see my face.

"Katerina. Of course. Well, that's unfortunate. If we had the necklace it would make things a whole lot easier for your witch, but since we're doing this the hard way, let's put a clock on it, shall we?"

"Twenty minutes. If Bonnie hasn't found a solution by then, I want you to feed again. Only this time, I want you to feed on Elena. You know you want to."

"No, Klaus! Don't do this to him!" Elena begs.

"No one leaves. If she tries to run, fracture her spine." Klaus smirks, grabbing my arm and pulling me out. He pulls me out of the school and grabs a random human.

"Drink." He orders.

"No." I refuse.

"Don't be a bitch about it love." He bites his neck. I gasp, looking at the puncture wound in his neck. My face mutates and my fangs puncture his neck, sucking the blood out of his body. He falls limp in my arms and I retract my fangs.

y��T�g�