Chapter 34

A Baby Mockingjay 34

Chapter 34

When I awake Peeta is no longer in bed, my clothes for training are laid out at the end if the bed. I get up and change into them, I put my hair in a braid before walking to the dinning room. I find Peeta there with Haymitch, Effie, our prep teams, and Dayo.

"Good morning Katniss." Dayo smiles. I reply with a smile before taking my seat next to Peeta. I dish up some oatmeal and a few little curved bread things. I eat slowly, not finishing everything before I have to go to training. I stay by Peeta's side as we walk down. When we arrive we get a speech before we begin. Everyone knows I'm skilled with a bow so there is no way to hide my talents. I find my way to the rope tying section where I practice snares.

"Katniss?" A voice says behind me as I finish a knot. I look up at Peeta and smile. I stand up strait so that I see him face to face.

"Wanna do something with weapons?" He asks. I giggle and nod. I follow him to the archery section. The instructor smiles when he sees us. He hands me a nice bow and a sheath of arrows. I help Peeta by showing him how to load an arrow into a bow and help him draw back the bow. When we release, he does pretty good for his first try, but I had helped him. I take a knife and try and work with it but it doesn't work out well. I begin to improve after a while. A short girl with long straight black hair a brown eyes walks up beside me, she takes a knife and snaps her arm back. It hits the dummy with a thud. This makes me wonder if she is a career, she is really good.

"What District are you from?" I ask.

"Seven." She says quietly. I just nod. She throws another knife, hitting the dummy in the head. I try to throw it again, hitting the dummy's chest, making me look better than I really am. The girl smiles at me.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Cypress." She says throwing another knife. Peeta had walked back off to another station.

"I'm guessing your good with knives?" She smiles and nods. I snap my arm back and hit the dummy in the arm. After about an hour I have improved some, the dummy was covered in knives.

They announce that we have leave back to our room. Cypress and I leave to find our districts. I meet up with him and smile.

"Where were you?" He asks, taking my hand in his.

"Knife throwing with District 7." I tell him.

"What's her name?" Peeta asks

"Cypress."

"Are you hungry?" He asks, changing the subject. I nod. I really was. I had spent lunch with Cypress throwing knives. I was gonna teach her to shoot in exchange for showing me to throw knives.

"I think she would be a good ally." I tell him. He nods and shrugs. Maybe, just maybe, we might have an ally.