Dream

That night when Zoë went to bed, she sat and thought about her birthday.
"What will my mother be doing?" She said, then noticed that she was changing. Zoë used to call her mum or slut but not anymore. At about midnight she fell asleep.

"Happy 5th birthday princess." My mum said to me passing me my present.
"Thank you mummy." I replied. I opened the present and saw that it was some paints and paper. I loved to paint. That night I painted me and her together.

"Happy 10th birthday princess."
"Mum, I'm not a princess anymore."
"You will always be my princess." The present I got this year was a huge pile of books. Reading took over my life. That was the most I ever got for me birthday. We didn't have a lot of money but I understood that.

"Happy 13th birthday."
"Thanks."
This was the year we started to fall apart. I was getting more detentions than before.

"Mum go away. I don't want any of your stupid things." I shouted at her. By the time I turned 15 I hated my mum. She probably hated me back.
"I spent a lot of time and money for you and you can't appreciate it." She said back.
"Go away, I'm sure there is a guy waiting at a hotel for you." I walked out and found my friends. That's when I started smoking, before that I never did it, only for my mum though.

What would this year be like?
"Mum?"
"What?"
"Do you know what today is?"
"The day I gave birth to a brat. Happy fucking birthday."

Zoë woke up with tears in her eyes,
"I'm sorry mother. I'm sorry." She sat up and pulled her knees to her chest.
"Bad dream?" Zoë looked up and saw Sebastian stood there.
"What do you want?" She asked wiping away the tears.
"I heard you wake. It's two in the morning, something must of been wrong."
"So you care now." She said to herself.
"I wanted to see how far I could go before you snapped. Like what happened the other night."
Oh so that is what all of that was "it wasn't very nice."
"I apologise. Now answer my question, bad dream?"
Zoë explained the dream to him, her tears kept flowing,
"I want to go home and apologise to her."
"Will she listen?" He asked a very good question.
"I don't know. Probably not."
"You have changed so much being here. Take that home and she may listen."
"You don't know my mother."
"No I don't, but you do." Sebastian went to the door, "now get some sleep."
"Ok."
"And Zoë."
"Yeah?"
"Happy birthday." He walked out and closed the door.
"Thank you Sebastian." She whispered as she closed her eyes and fell back to sleep.