Birthday afternoon

20th January 1890

After cutting some strawberries Zoë left the kitchen and went to the garden. She found Finny and asked to help. He agreed to let her. They both pulled out every weed and watered every flower. They both laughed as they worked, at times like this Zoë didn't want to go back home. But she knew that it had to happen some day.

When picking some flowers for tonight Finny saw the necklace,
"That's pretty." He said.
Zoë looked at it "it is, isn't it. Ciel gave it to me this morning."
"Really? That's nice of him." He went back to collecting flowers.
"I'm going to take this lot to Sebastian." Zoë stood and walked away, arms filled with flowers.
"Please don't go miss Zoë." Finny said to himself, "no one else helps like you."

Zoë walked into the manor and found Sebastian,
"Flowers." She handed them to him.
"Zoë, you shouldn't be working."
"And why not?"
"It's your day off."
"I feel bad. It may be my birthday but that shouldn't change anything. I enjoy helping." She looked around, "wheres May-Rin?"
"She should be washing the bed sheets."
"Thanks." Zoë ran off before Sebastian could say another word.
"You are the hardest working person here." He said taking the flowers to be put in a vase.

"May-Rin." Zoë said when she finally found her.
"Miss Zoë you frightened me, yes you did."
"Opps sorry. Need any help?"
"I have it. I'm finished now anyway. I should find Sebastian, see what has to be done."
"Oh ok." Zoë turned, "call if you need anything." Zoë ran off to the library.
"You always want to help." May-Rin told herself, "it will be lonely when you go."

Zoë sat in the candle lit library. The chair she was always sat in was a deep shade of red, it was the most comfortable one in the library. Zoë sat with her knees by her chest. She held the necklace in her hand,
"You know that I will have to go back soon, even if it's not for a couple of years. But you still buy me things and make me feel part of the family." Zoë stood and walked to her room. The manor in the afternoon was completely different to the mornings. Silence wasn't a thing, May-Rin was running around cleaning or tripping over. Finny was in the garden or moving heavy things out of the way. Baldroy was in the kitchen blowing things up. Sebastian was either in Ciels study, cleaning or shouting at the others. The mid day sun showed the truth in the house. Zoë opened her door and found Sebastian in there, he was making her bed with freshly cleaned sheets.
"Afternoon Zoë." He said.
"Afternoon Sebastian." She sat on a chair that was in the corner of the room,
"Where is that happy smile?"
"I'm just a little bored. I've helped Baldroy in the kitchen, Finny in the garden, May-Rin didn't need help."
"What about the master? Have you helped him out today?" Sebastian finished the bed, "he might be needing some tea, why don't you make him some. It would help me." He walked out. Zoë stood and left the room, she made a pot of tea and took it to Ciel. She knocked on the study door,
"Come in."
Zoë walked in with the tea. Ciel looked up expecting Sebastian.
"Where's Sebastian?"
"He was busy and asked me to make you some tea. I was starting to get a little bored." She poured him a cup and placed it in front of him.
"You do enjoy helping others. Have you always been like this?"
Zoë sat, "no. I never helped because I kept myself busy by going out with my friends. If they were busy I was drawing or reading."
"You have been very helpful here in my manor." Ciel took a sip of his tea, "still need to practice tea making."
"Sorry. It's different back home." Zoë stood "shall I make more?"
"No need." Zoë turned and saw Sebastian with new tea. "Zoë. You should start getting ready for tonight. Your dress is a little dirty from all of your hard work. May-Rin will be in your room soon to help you." Sebastian poured a new cup of tea for Ciel.
"Ok." Zoë left the room and went back to her room, where a beautiful dress sat waiting for her on the bed.