Part II

We stopped in front of a white brick building with a mid-sized checkered patterned banner across the front entrance. In big black bold letters was written 'Fast-way Racers'. I frowned up at the sign. Bryce is taking me to a track? With real cars! Oh he does trust me! Yes! With glee I stepped in behind the boys into the building. Everyone in here looked like some professional racer, for lack of a better term. With their full coverage helmets and gloves. I stood out like a soar thumb.

My eyes landed on the glass window on the far wall. My smile dropped when I saw go karts racing though the track. My heart also dropped in my chest as my eyes trailed over the twists and turns of the track. Okay, maybe I'm not ready. I'm not ready!

Dragging my feet I followed behind the guys until we got to the front desk. A girl, possibly 20+, stood tall behind the counter. From the look of her she looked, exotic almost. It wasn't her platinum blond hair, or her pale skin, or touring height. It was just the way she She smiled wide and bright when she saw Bryce.

"Hey! Ant, Jay, Kelly! Long time no see!" she chimed.

Bryce leaned onto the counter top with a cheeky little grin dancing on he's flawless face. "Gwen, it's good to see you again!" he beamed at her.

The four of them chatted it up about whatever nonsense they were talking about. I shyly stood in the background, something I was used to. It wasn't until Bryce turned to me with a warm smile when I was brought into the limelight. "Gwen this is Shay, Shay this is Gwen. We go way back." he introduced. 

Damn, I love the way my name comes rolls off he's tongue..

Snap out of it! Stop it!

What I expected was her to bogus smile at me and turn her nose up at me. But she didn't. She smiled wide at me showing off her perfectly whitened teeth at me. She extended her pale hand towards me. My eyes darted to the dark ink resting on the inside of her forearm. I was captivated by it-all the detail. I recognized it though, it was the face of the goddess Venus. To be more specific, it was the exact face of the painting 'The Birth of Venus'. I was impressed.

"It's nice to meet you!" she politely said as we shook hands.

Taken back, I smiled back at her too. "You too."

Gwen's umber eyes softened then she turned to Bryce. "She's much prettier than I expected. You know sometimes Bryce you be dragging some drag queen looking bitches though h-"

"I'm not the one who went out with Johnny Glass Eye!" he protested.

Gwen frowned. "Hey! He didn't have a glass eye, he just had..vision issues. Don't make fun of the handicap, shame on you."

I laughed at them. It was kind of cute seeing Bryce get all worked up about it. Wait- he brought other girls here? My heart swelled in my chest at that thought. I quietly slid back into the background. Clouded by my own thoughts. Maybe Gwen was joking, and maybe she wasn't. Suddenly, Gwen turned and placed four black helments onto the counter top. Each of the boys grabbed their own helement and headed down the narrow hallway. Quietly, I walked up to the counter top and grabbed my helment aburtly not interested in racing any more.

"Hey what's wrong Shay?" Gwen asked her perfectly shaped eyebrows fussing together in confusion.

I shook my head and looked down at the helmet in my hands. "Oh nothing. Nothing important anyway."

Gwen didn't look too convinced but I guess she decided to let it go. "Are you nervous?"

"A little."

She smiled. "Don't be. Just let your mind go blank and everything will follow through." she suggested.

I nodded. "Thanks for the suggestion."

"Are you sure everything's okay?" 

I signed. "No," I caved.

"What is it? Is it Bryce?"