Burn

This was a whole new level of the term fucked up.

I sit in the seat directly across from Raymond. His sickening alluring eyes were trained in on me. The courage and I-ain't -got-no-worries attitude had completely vanished by now. On the outside I was as cool as a cucumber, but on the inside my mind was drowning in an utter turmoil. I needed to get the hell out of here, and fast. The main question on my mind was: How in the hell was Raymond dating my mom and I didn't know until now?

Then it occurred to me. Two wine glasses, the half empty bottle of Pinot Grigio, the pin-striped jacket. My hands clenched under the table just thinking that he was there all along. This was all apart of his grand master plan and he was only using my mom as leverage.

"So Shayla," Raymond starts. "So I hear you're thinking about attending USCD next year." a playful smirk remains on his face as he cuts into his well done steak.

My eyes narrow at him. " It's Shay-" I hiss. "-and I was. I'm not sure if I want to go to college in California." I said truthfully though, I didn't know why I was telling him that. 

He nods. "You're a smart girl like you're mother here." like the gullible bimbo she is, she just beams up at him. "You could probably go to any college your little heart desire. Matter of fact I think my nephew Bry-OW!"

Raymond reached down and rubbed the area where I just connected my heel with his leg. I smiled on the inside but I needed to keep up my facade so I just played along with the act. Two can play this game.

"Honey are you alright?" my mom asks placing her hand lightly on his shoulder.

Raymond shoots me a look before turning my concerned mother. "Yeah guess I overdid it at the gym."

After Raymond finally composed him, he and my mother began casually talking about the wonders of the world and some other irrelevant bullshit. I slipped my phone from my purse underneath the table. I quickly texted Jay. I just got Bryce to relax and go back to normal I wasn't going to jeopardize that just because Raymond is up to no good, yet again. It'll probably just blow over...I hope.

Emergency! 911!!!!!! -Shay

A minute later he replies back. What's wrong Princess? Need tampons? -Jay

I snorted. No asshole. I'll explain everything later. Are you at your house? - Shay

Nah, I'm over a friend's house right now. Is it urgent? - Jay

Somewhat, yes. Just get over to Bryce's as soon as you finish with you "friend". -Shay

Alright I got you boo boo. Be there soon as I can. You know I never leave a job unfinished ;) -Jay

I grunt as I slide my phone back into my purse. When I look up my mom and Raymond are looking at me. I frown. "What?"

"Raymond was just telling me that he would like to take a trip down to the Dominican Republic in the summer." she smiles. "All of us." there was a bitterness to her voice as the words left her lips.

I fake a smile turning to Raymond. "What a thoughtful gesture-" I pushed the chair from the table and stood up. "-but I would rather shoot myself in the foot then spend time with you." With that, I stormed out the dining room ignoring my mother's calls after me. I ended up on the backyard, my anger boiling up inside me.

I looked up at the midnight blue sky, a small amount of stars shining through the thick atmosphere. How could Raymond stoop so low to drag my mother along into some business she didn't have anything to do with. I may not like my mother but at the end of the day she was just that, my mother. The cool air whirled around me sending a shiver through my body. I wasn't sure what to do.