Throwing Stones At A Glasshouse

"I'm not but you are."

My body froze, no I was paralyzed where I stood. Did I hear him correctly? Is my mind playing tricks on me or something? Bryce and I were now in a one on one staring contest. He was staring at me with so much intensity and somewhat concern. If was like if in second now he was waiting for me to ball over snap. Was I? Right now I'm not too sure. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out I was just too...too...baffled, astounded.

Bryce edged towards me slowly, holding up his hands slightly. "Shay listen to me-"

"Stop." I ordered. I dropped my gaze from Bryce to the ground. "What the fuck is this Bryce." I pointed down at the now full suitcases before us.

Bryce looked down at the suitcases as if he didn't even notice they were there to begin with. His eyes softened then as he stopped in his tracks. He signed deeply as he dropped down to the ground running his hands through his hair repeatedly. "I didn't think it would come to this, I really didn't." he whispered ever so softly and if it wasn't for me listening in so closely I would have missed it.

I dropped down in front of him drawing in my legs up towards my chest and wrapping my arms around them. "It isn't safe here for you anymore Shay. I have no choice but to send you away somewhere safe until the air clears over here." his eyes snapped up towards mine and there was a glimpse of defeat in his eyes.

"Why do I have to leave Bryce?" I asked. "What happened to all or nothing?"

He shook his head. "All or nothing." he echoed dropping his gaze from mine and began fumbling with the straps of one of my tank tops in the suitcases. "Is not something I'm willing to risk."

"Shay I've told you time and time again how selfish I already feel for having to have you for myself. And I couldn't live with myself if something bad happened to you. Because it'll be my fault because I brought you into this mess. And this-" he gestured to the suitcases. "-is the only way I can continue protecting you."

This was a hard pill to swallow. Ever since I've known Bryce he's always been on top of things and very confident in himself. But for the first time ever, Bryce looks like he's lost all hope and it broke my heart to see it. "B-But do I really have to leave? Marcus says he just wants the family company and and-"

He scoffed. "It's so much bigger than all of that now. He wants something that's mine and will always be mine."

I frowned. "What?"

His eyes snapped up to mine and those green orbs that I've grown to much in love with looked so dull and lifeless as they stared at me through thick lashes. "You."

All the air had been knocked out of me then. "M-Me?"

"Raymond isn't going to stop he's mad that very clear Shay. Not only does he want my percentage of the family company, and numerous other bullshit. He wants you Shay. He used -using- your mother as leverage for himself."

I scoff. "I don't give a fuck what that woman does. That's her own problem not mine. I don't care."

Bryce shook his head. "You say that. But she's still your mother no matter how much you despise her." It seem as if he wasn't just trying to convince me but also himself too. He stood to his feet tossing the blouse into the suitcase beside us."Right now it's just not a good idea for you to be around here."

I stood too, tears welled up in my eyes but I refused to let them fall. "Can't you see that's what Raymond wants? He wants to separate us Bryce."

Bryce didn't have to say anything. It was painted on his face for all of me to see. I could see how it hurt - no, pained - him to send me away. It was killing him just was much as it was killing me maybe even more. Bryce walked towards the doorway but stopped just before the threshold. "I don't know what else to do Shay."