Chapter 1~ Time to go

{Sylvie's P.O.V}

"Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bugs bite." I whisper and kiss my little girl's head. 

"You too mommy!" She giggles. I tuck her in nice and tight before shutting off the lights and heading out to the living room for a glass of wine and watch my favorite movie: Zombieland.

      I laugh almost every time I watch it, with Woody Harrelson's acting and the fact that "zombies" will never exist. 

      All of a sudden my phone rings, it's my step dad Matthew. I pick it up and answer, but all I hear is screaming in the background. 

"Matt? What's going on?!" I ask frantically.

"Sylvie put the news on! You gotta get Athena somewhere safe!" He replies in a panic.

"What? Why? Where's mom?" 

"There's no time, just turn it on!" He shouts then the line goes dead. I find myself getting worried, so I switch the channel and watch my mother broadcasting the news. Yes, she's a news anchor. 

"The CDC and National Guard are advising everyone to evacuate the city, suspicious, cannibalistic activity has rocked all of Atlanta, and other various parts of the world. Please, do not take this lightly." I catch only a small part of her broadcast before my TV reception goes out. 

      I make my way to Athena's room and wake her up.

"Baby, pack a bag, we have to go." I tell her as calmly as I can. She rubs her tired little eyes then gets out of bed.

"Mommy what's going on?" She asks. 

"I don't know, but we have to leave the city. Pack lightly, and choose one toy to bring with you. Okay?" I tell her, and she nods. I flip on the lights and start to pack whatever we might need. I pack a change of clothes, some canned food, toiletries, water bottles, Athena's snacks, a Zippo lighter, first aid kit, batteries, battery operated lamp, two throw blankets and two pillows, and a coloring book. 

"Yo! Neighbor!" I hear my front door swing open.

"Did ya' see the news?" Merle Dixon barges into my kitchen, where I'm finishing up packing. 

"Yes I did, Athena and I are packing up and heading out of the city. Do you know what exactly is going on?" I ask him, hoping he might be able to let me in on any info.

"I heard people are dyin' and comin' back to life and killin' people." He answers. I sigh and nervously start to chew on my cheek.

"Where should we go? I don't know what to do, I just want to get Athena somewhere safe." I worry. 

"Tell ya' what, you and that little girl of yours come on over and we'll get ya' to safety." He offers. I nod quickly, having someone like Merle and Daryl around might not be such a bad idea. 

     I hurry upstairs, where Athena is putting things in her Minnie Mouse bag. I step in and hurry up the process, then pick her up and carry her downstairs.

"Merle!" Athena cheers, she seems to have a particular liking to Merle ever since he took her camping on a weekend I had to work. Don't worry, I made sure Daryl kept him from doing anything stupid. 

"Eyy little duck!" Merle replies with a smile. I set her down and Merle helps me with our bags. 

      Daryl and Merle live next door to me in a little beat down house, on the edge of town. The walk isn't far, so we get there within minutes. Merle tosses our stuff in the bed of the truck with their belongings, then he takes us inside.

"Daryl! We got some company joinin' us." Merle announces. Daryl is in the garage grabbing a crossbow and arrows.

"If yer' comin' with us then ye' need a weapon. Here." Daryl grabs an old baseball bat and tosses it at my feet. I cautiously bend down and grab it.

"Why do I need a weapon?" I ask curiously. Daryl points towards some trees, so I turn around. A woman limps towards us, her jaw half gone and her skin is rotted nearly to the bone. 

"That's why." Daryl then loads his crossbow, points, and kills her. I gasp and Athena starts to shake with fright.

"What the hell was that for? You just killed someone, in front of my daughter!" I yell at him angrily. 

"Darlin', that weren't no someone. She woulda' ripped ya apart, and little miss ducky too, without a second thought. I'd trust us if I were you." Merle explains. 

     I walk over to the woman, she does indeed look incredibly dead, and she's got blood all over her fingers and mouth. From eating someone? Probably. 

"Alright... but what the hell are those things? If they aren't people then..." 

"Walkers." Daryl blurts out. I give him a confused look.

"It seems like a good name to call em', they don't run and they ain't human." He elaborates.

"Well they bite too... maybe we should call them biters?" I suggest.

"Call em' what ye' want." Daryl shrugs.

"I like 'walker'." I decide. 

       The four of us head inside and try to turn the news on again, but all that remains is static. Giving up on that idea, we decide to try to head into the city for answers. Maybe it's dumb of us to do so, even after being told to evacuate the city, but we can't just drive around for nothing. And one things for sure, we need to find out what's going on, and fast, or else all of us will become walker-chow. 

A/N- Welp here's a new story, tell me how ya like it!